Looking in the region memory panel it seems the total is bigger than the sum of scripts in the list.

Serinthia Kelberry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was finishing up putting a new store together on a parcel of land I bought recentl, and maybe I should have noticed this before, but the amount of memory being reported as "in use" is higher than the sum total of the listed scripts.  When I look in About Land, in Script info, the memory in use is around 25MB.  That seemed high, so I went down the list of scripts, adding their KB sizes together and came up with about 5.5MB.  My avatar was taking up less than 200KB at the time, so there's some memory unaccounted for there..

Is there something I'm missing about how script memory works, or is there a bug when it comes to reporting total usage at the top of the window?

1 answer to this question

Depending on where you look and how you ask the question, script memory may be reported as a measure of how much memory has been allocated to each script (16 KB for a LSO-compiled script, 6KB for Mono), or the amount of memory that the script is actually using at the moment.  Further, if the number is reporting what's really in use, it's an instantaneous measure.  Milliseconds later, the same script might be using a quarter of that amount, or twice it.  To complicate matters further, scripters can now use llSetMemoryLimit on Mono-compiled scripts to set an upper limit on the amount of memory that can actually be used by a script --- without changing its 64K allocation.  That is, a scripter may set a memory limit of 32KB for a script that is allocated 64KB and may only be using 20KB at any specific moment.  According to the LSL wiki ....

• A lower limit will effect the amount of memory reported in the viewer UI and by llGetObjectDetails.
  • The memory limit is not the amount of real memory actually used by the script, just the upper limit on it.

So, there's plenty of room for confusion. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.