I appear offline though I'm online, friends who are actually online are shown offline to me

Schdeuph Rosca

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is the overview of my problem, I've also posted it on Jira.
Seems like this problem exists for quite a while already, but I can't find a solution.
  • friends are shown offline on my friendslist inworld, but secondlife.com says they are online
  • said friends are actually online, the friendslist just doesn't show them online, it shows them offline
  • when you send an IM to a friend which is offline (but secondlife.com tells you this friend is online) they show up online as soon as you press "send"
  • this is the case since 1st of May, maybe already since 29th of June
  • friends do report the same problems, and tell me "you are shown offline, how come you can send me a notice?"
  • when looking at friends profiles it says they are offline (though secondlife.com shows them online and they are actually online)
  • accounts stay logged in for a long period of time after they logged out (I tested this on an alt, I was showing online after 1 hour I logged out, and my profile also said "online"; only after a message was sent from my alt to my main account my main account was logged out
  • this issue is the case with all my friends, they are all shown offline inworld, though being online on secondlife.com (and they are actually online)
  • friends did NOT set themselves invisible to me (I've checked this with several friends and alts)
  • I talked to my friends, it seems to happens to them as well
  • I did not play with the preferences or debug settings since quite a while, so it couldn't be me who caused that

Example:
[13:17] Stoif Rosca (schdeuph.rosca): are you online?
[13:17] Second Life: xxxx is online.
[13:17] Stoif Rosca (schdeuph.rosca): O_o
[13:18] Stoif Rosca (schdeuph.rosca): sorry, I just keep seeing everybody offline, contrary to what my secondlife.com page tells me
[13:18] xxxx: o.o
[13:18] xxxx: I don't see you online
((this happened just on 3rd of May 2012, a few minutes before I reported this issue))

I changed my password and will run a Beta-Grid-Account-Update tomorrow, but anything I've tried so far failed.

This includes:

- tried several viewer (LL, Firestorm, Phoenix, Exodus, LL Project Viewer)

- did a clean install of all mentioned viewers

Please help!

4 answers to this question

Wait, you are talking about beta grid. Are you on Aditi? This grid does not reflect your real SL friends list or LL balance. Do you have the same problem when you log to the main grid (Agni)? Have you tried changing your starting location? Have you tried a full clean reinstall of the viewer? You can add info: Options button at the top right corner of your question, Edit to add text.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall

I'm not on the Beta Grid, I do have this problem on the Main Grid.

But I logged in there to try the old "update your account yourself on the Beta Grid" trick.

Thanks for the answer though.

Yes, I did clean installs of all viewers I got, also tried older versions.
Nothing lead to a solution so far.

Whenever I hear of people not being shown online when they are online, friends showing as not online when they are, and stuck presences (ghosted) the first thing that comes to mind is it's a communication issue between the LL servers and the client. Something just isn't being communicated properly. The problem could be with the server(s) or LL's network before it gets booted to the Internet. When that happens, the problem is fairly widespread and might exist for a few hours but very seldom longer than that (the exception might be a region having the problem and no one reports it.......that happens with private regions quite often). The other, more common reason for the problem is on the users end.....their home network, NIC, faulty cable, flakey wireless connection, or their router and modem need rebooting (like everything else computer, those two devices occassionally need a fresh start). That would be my first suggestion to try.......reboot your router and modem. Simply unplug the devices from their electrical source for 3 to 5 mins, plug back in, wait for the lights to settle to their normal blinking routine, then restart you computer to re-establish your Internet connection. Try SL again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.