Program stops after install?

Kimichan95

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Well, I downloaded it but right after, I get a popup saying it's stopped working. I've tried rebooting my computer, and reinstalling it several times. At one point I got a second pop up saying it might not have installed correctly. So I re-reinstalled it...again. I've tried uninstalling a few useless things to make room for memory...That doesn't seem to have helped either.
One of the times I reinstalled it, the install box looked different than the first few times. (I'm not sure if that means anything or if it's just useless info, but I'm putting it up anyway.)
And another pop up said "Your CPU might not have SSE2 which is required". That is probably the problem, but that leads me to more questions since I don't know what that is, or where to get it. D:

4 answers to this question

In addition to Dilbert and Valerie's great answers, you should know that almost all modern computers support the SSE2 instruction set.  I hope the error message is wrong, and your computer DOES support it, because if it does not it is a VERY old machine and will have a terrible time running Second Life.

Try downloading the free utility, CPU-Z at this link:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html  When you run it, look about halfway down the window in the first tab, where it says "Instructions", and see if SSE2 is supported.

softwares-cpuz.jpg

If your computer does support SSE2, but the error message says it doesn't, then you have some other problem.  There are so many possibilities that I have no idea what to suggest, other than that it's not a bad idea sometimes to simply reformat your whole hard drive and do a fresh install of your operating system, updates, drivers, and all your software.  If you go this route, back up your data files, your Favorites, and your contact lists, and make darn sure that you have your original operating system disks and authentication code.  The same for all your other software.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.