Mesh Deforms in World?

Lukeh Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can almost guarentee it's my blender skills which caused this catastrophy :P

Anyway, I'm getting this weird inconvenience with my mesh t-shirt that I'm doing now bare in mind this is my first project so =P

It looks ... oka.. nah it's aweful lol, but my main issue is that when my avatar in world moves lightly it's fine but when he like leans fowards or folds his arms the mesh just like. it looks UGLY.

Exhibit A:

Snapshot_001.jpg

Exhibit B:

Snapshot_002.jpg

Exhibit C:

Untitled.jpg

My guess is that it's something to do with the solidify modifiy as when I used it I increased the thickness going inside the shirt.. as opposed to thickening it outside it gets thicker in if it makes sense...

(Also if you can tell me how to unzoom my panel below it's awful lol)

But yeah as you can see in the weird I just graduated pose I put the skeleton in it looks like another shirt has formed from behind? Any suggestions?

Thankies in Advanced :) x

Regarding the distortions: That could be a bad weighting (most probably in fact)

Regarding the solidify:

Maybe you placed the solidify modifier below the armature ? maybe better move it up on top of the modifier stack

But why do you need a solidify modifier after all ? You will never see the shirt from the inside ... So it makes not much sense to get the inner side covered by faces which are never seen ... If you just want to get the borders of the shirt right, then you could add an extra edge loop there and scale it down a bit and move it "into the shirt sleeves.." that would give the impression of having a thick material...

• Like 1

For a T-shirt like that, you shouldn't add an entire layer of polygons on the inside that will never be seen. Here is a short workflow example for the collar:

• Hit "E" to extrude then left click without moving the mouse around.
  • Hit "W" to bring up the specials menu. Pick "Smooth" (not Shade Smooth).
  • Look in the Toolshelf (hit "T" to open it if it is closed). You should see options for "Smooth", turn it up to 2 or 3. 
  • Now, hit "E" to extrude again and pull the selection into the collar. Smooth the selection once or twice.
  • At this point, you should have a small rim around the collar to give the appearance of thickness without tons of unused polygons on the inside.
  • Repeat steps for the shirt cuff.

As for the shirt crumpling, I assume you used "bone heat"? That is really a bad option for clothing. You should manually paint this or use "bone weight copy". You'll find some SL specific tutorials on clothing and rigging/skinning in my signature.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.