Mesh Clothing Rigging Help

Lilli Halsey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made a couple of shirt models that I am happy with but for some reason I am having a hard time getting them to rig in Blender 2.49 sometimes getting an error, or if it works in 2.49 then when I try to upload it the skin weights do not show up in the upload. I have been using the workflow from Ashasekayi's tutorial series and the avatar workbench from Machinimatrix and the new standard sizing models. I tried doing it in Blender 2.62 but the rigging moves akwardly and I don't really like it. I am guessing that has something to do with the weights coming from the skeleton and not body mesh. I am a novice in Blender and still learning so if someone could advise me I would be very grateful. 

Thank you,

Lilli

If you have never successfully uploaded the model and the "skin weights" button is greyed out, it probably means that you don't have the essential 21 bones in the model. Look in your vertex group listing and make sure you have these 21 groups.

-- crucial list (21)--

mNeck
mHead
mChest
mTorso
mPelvis
mCollarRight
mCollarLeft
mShoulderLeft
mShoulderRight
mElbowRight
mElbowLeft
mWristLeft
mWristRight
mHipRight
mHipLeft
mKneeRight
mKneeLeft
mAnkleRight
mAnkleLeft
mFootRight
mFootLeft

If you have successfully uploaded this model before and then the "skin weights" button becomes greyed out on the next attempt with a model with the same filename, hit the "Clear settings and reset form" button. Then, you should get the "skin weight" button back. This seems to happen because of an .slm file bug.

I finally chanced upon what step I was missing. I needed to export the clothing as an obj from 2.62 and import it into 2.49 before rigging. Then I just have to remember to delete the materials and it works just fine although my 2.49 keeps crashing if I try to do the rigging for more than one item in a row. 

Thank you for your reply though!

Lilli

Lilli Halsey wrote:

I finally chanced upon what step I was missing. I needed to export the clothing as an obj from 2.62 and import it into 2.49 before rigging. Then I just have to remember to delete the materials and it works just fine although my 2.49 keeps crashing if I try to do the rigging for more than one item in a row. 

Thank you for your reply though!

Lilli

Just curious, why do you feel that you need to move from Blender 2.62 to 2.49? You can rig and export just fine from Blender 2.62.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.