SL Viewer Login error..wont let me back in...

roxyangel007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the past few days I have been unable to login with SL Viewer. The error I keep getting is :" Darn, you have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your internet connection"

So its not my internet connection, and I;ve cleared my history, cache, cookies etc. I;ve also uninstalled SL Viewer and re-installed it to see if that might help....but it didnt.!! Boo Hoo!!

I can login with Phoenix viewer, but I prefer SL Viewer so would like to get this problem fixed.

The last place I was before this happened was in London flying a light plane...and I had great difficulty getting out of it...as it kept going into a wall...and would not let me "stand" to get out. I'm thinking this may be the problem..it;s still locked on it or something......I;m in that plane for life!!!!.

I;ve also tried to change my location to login to and that doesn't work..

Any ideas would be appreciated as i miss my SL Viewer.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Open your viewer (don't bother trying to log in).  Under your preferences look on the "Advanced" tab (at least I think that's the tab) and where you would "Clear Cache" you'll see where the cache is located on your computer.  Write or copy that complete path to the cache folder and close the viewer.  Navigate to that folder on your computer and delete everything in it (just open the folder and "Select All" then hit the delete).  Launch your viewer again and on the location box type in one of the Linden Lab maintained sims (Pooley, Aqua, Lime are three I can think of off the top of my head).  Log in and you should be logged into a water sim with no scripts and very little builds (in fact, the last time I was as at Pooley I saw nothing in the way of builds).  Once you land just take a few steps away from the landing point so others who are arriving don't land on your head.  Open your inventory and your counter should have started......if not then just type a few letters in the search box to get it started.  Then just stand there and wait for the inventory to load completely (it can take a while so be patient).  You can tell with it's fully loaded by the counter saying "x number of items fetched" instead of "fetching x number of items".  Once that's done you can TP back home or where ever you normally log in to.  That should fix your problem.

Something else to avoid future issues like this.  Move the caches for any other viewers you use on that same computer.........also for any other account you use (alts).  Depending on how many accounts you have and how many viewers you use you can have a few caches to move.  For instance if you have two accounts (you and one alt) and two viewers you will need to move three caches......you can leave one cache at the default location.

• Like 2

You're saying you can log in using Phoenix but not the LL viewer even after the issues with the plane you mention? Did I understand that correctly?

I don't know if you did, but when you uninstall the viewer you should navigate to, and also remove, a folder named the same as your avatar from somewhere along the path Peggy mentioned in her reply.

And just for the heck of it. If you manage to log in on Phoenix, try to go to the place where you got stuck in the plane and see how it looks. Before - quite a while ago - there was a ghosting issue around which could be resolved by managing to log in and go to the place where the ghost was. The issue has been gone a long time now, so I don't really thing this is going to do or fix anything...

oh. If you add info to your post, could you also add a comment to one of the replies (by pressing permalink below it) and add a comment? This way notifications are sent out to anybody who has replied.

- Luc -

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the responses! I could kiss you both!!

I went back to the space I had the problem and it seemed fine... and then I cleared the cache..and deleted everything from the file as suggested....and low and behold I'm back ....YAY!!!

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you so much!

xD

You're welcome. A simple cache clearing from the preferences usually do the trick but sometimes you have to manually delete the cache to get a good clearing (mulitple cache clearings have also proven to be effective). Manually deleting the cache is not hard so when I suspect the user has done the simple way it failed to work I mention, what I call, the nuclear option. If it's a cache issue that method works every time.....if it doesn't work then we all know it's something else and go further to find the problem. When someone (like your case) has a problem logging in on one veiwer (or one account) it's almost allway a cache problem......but that's not set in stone since any number of things can cause a problem having the same symptoms as cache problems. It's just going with the most likely first then moving the less likely to get to the problem and fix it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.