second life run slow on my alienware m11x but it meet everything i need to run the game.

albert Japiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have always had problems with second life on my alienware m11x R1 laptop it always run slow no matter what graphic setting i have it on. On med setting it get 7 FPS an i use can you run it website to see if my laptop can run it an it say it passed everything is all green an i even check the second life website an everything pass as well.

my system

intel core 2 Duo 1,37GHz over clocked 1,73 Ghz rated at 2,04Ghz

4G DDR3 ram

500HDD

Gefore GT 335M with 1G of video ram

someone please help me out because i would like to know why second life can not run on my laptop

6 answers to this question

"...

Gefore GT 335M with 1G of video ram

..."

-------------------------------------------------------------

A little on the weak side (below mid range in performance for the 300 series nVidia cards).  It's also a mobile GPU which is a even a little less powerful than a desktop model.  However you should get more than 7 FPS in most places at med settings in your preferences.  Try updating your graphics drivers.

Edited because I hit post by accident before I was done.  :matte-motes-agape:

• Like 1

Have you read through: "How to Improve Viewer Performance"?

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923

Other things to try:

1. If you are on wifi - try switching temporarily to a wired connection.

2. Check your wireless access point/switch/router to see if you are logging lots of dropped traffic. Network errors means that the SL server, or the viewer, have to wait until an expected message times out, and is resent, which feels like "lag".

3. Make sure your DNS settings are correctly set to your ISP. DNS is an internet service to look up a website or computer's network address based on its name. If it can't lookup the name from where it expects, it can timeout, or spend time retrying elsewhere, causing delays for whatever request its trying to make.

4. Use a multi-traceroute tool to investigate the entire network path from your machine to Linden Lab and the SecondLife servers. Any Internet server or router between you and the SL server that has problems will cause lag-feeling network issues. You want to see round trip times <100ms... the lower the roundtrip times, the better.

5. Look for stuff to shut down: msconfig can show you everything started when you login. Is all of that necessary, or just stealing CPU, RAM, disk, and network I/O time from what you want to do. Be careful not to shutdown necessary security software, but also look for unnecessaryware that tends to come bundled in windows, especially laptops and netbooks. What is each item in your startup? Who created it? What job is it doing?

6. Clean up your system using tools like CCleaner and MyDefrag.

7. Review and tweak your system from the hardware up: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_2.html

8. Read the SecondLife debug log (it used to be CTRL-SHIFT-4 on v1 viewers) for viewer reporting errors and investigate and resolve as many of those as you can.

I have the same machine with the same issue. It is like watching grass grow  when you try to rez. When i looked at what Second life see as my hardware it does not even see the Nvidia, it only sees and uses the intel chip. According to the SL website, they don't support the 300 series . They are only up to the 295. As usual, Sl is behind the times. I know this doesnt help but at least you know why now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.