SecondLife Viewer will not open

RebekahRenee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I run a Windows7 OS on a 2009 HP pavilion dv6 laptop. I have spent the last two hours uninstalling via the control panel and have done a clean instal multiple times. Each time I attempt to open the SecondLife viewer, it says "Initializing VFS" and then closes. I did try and "troubleshoot" (through windows) and running through other versions of Windows did not help; ultimately it found that the application was incompatible? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Hi Rebekah,

You're never going to succeed installing the latest version of the officla viewer because it's broken. There's a bug in it that cause a stall a "Initialing VFS" for certain computers. I recommend you switch to Firestorm until LL releases something that works. It's not a bad idea to have an alternate back-up viewer so that, when when things to wrong, you've got both a backup and a means of determining whether your problems are viewer specific or more fundamental.

Good luck!

• Like 1

There's a problem with some setups and the video-card detection/test system the current viewer uses.

This is the test version of the viewer that's hoped to be the fix - if you want to try it click on the links next to the word "install". CYGWIN is for Windows.

http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/oz_maint-4678/rev/296857/index.html

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.