yet another dae parsing plea for help

Sephryn Meili

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've read a load of these dae parsing threads and haven't found anything regarding the log saying the file is corrupt

newview/llfloatermodelpreview.cpp(1590) : 2014-09-02T23:23:44Z INFO: LLModelLoader::doLoadModel: Error with dae - traditionally indicates a corrupt file.

I've been trying to import this head for over a week, I've tweaked and fiddled and tried every solution out there that I can

I'm desperate I just want to upload this and wear it and I worked so hard on it and dont think I could resculpt anything as good as this

Is there a way to make a fresh copy of a mesh? Or could someone look at it and tell me whats wrong? I'm willing to do anything here.

Photos always good. It may be too heavy?

If you are on any other grids do you get an error message their?

I haven't seen that message in at least a year so I don't think there is any issue with the uploader. Are you using the beta grid to test?

All info will help folks help you.

maybe it is a bit big, I'm new at this so I'm not sure how to reduce and keep the details I need 

what sort of pictures do you need? I attached a picture of the head itself.  I'm happy to supply anything elsehead.jpg

I've tried uploading it on the main and in beta in mutiple places too.

It would be nice to see the head in wire frame but it looks like it is probably too many vertices and is over the limit.

If your mesh has too many vertices it won't upload.  Here's the limits for mesh:

Lower Limit                                 Upper Limit               

Number of vertices n/a 65536 vertices per LOD for each  n/a n/a
COLLADA file size n/a Maximum mesh asset size after compression is 8 MB, roughly equivalent to a 256 MB Raw COLLADA file. n/a n/a
Bone influence weights per vertex n/a 4 n/a n/a
Number of materials per mesh n/a 8 n/a n/a
Number of materials per face n/a 1 n/a n/a
Physics weight for a vehicle n/a 32.0

Here's a link to the wiki page:  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

I hope that helps. :)
Cathy

hi :)

Because I never go any where near the max vertice/tri count its not something I have ever noted down but seeing your post i think it would be useful to have these limits set in stone somewhere. So perhaps you could clear up a couple of points for me and if possible add to your table of limits if necessary .

First is is it Vertices or triangles that are counted for the limit ?

The second is ....... will passing the max limit cause an error in the uploader or will faces just be deleted ?

I am  referring back to this thread  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Is-topology-important-in-SL-as-in-other-game-engines-when/td-p/1903379  Drongles message number 6 .........

" In fact there is a limit of 174752 triangles, beyond which additional triangles will appear as holes. This is because the 64k vertices per material is (presently - it's reported as a bug) pre-empted by a limit of 21844 triangles per material, after which a new material is "secretly" started by the uploader. It will go on making new materials beyond 8 x 21844 (=174752) triangles, but the extra triangles then get dropped by the limitation to 8 materials, causing the holes. When you go over the 21844 triangle limit, the vertex count will start to climb steeply, even with smooth shading, because the materials get highly interspersed so that the same vertices have to appear in multiple material lists. So the moral of the story is to keep below 21844 triangles per material, for now, if you want to avoid some unexpected effects."

...........174752 tris is alot more than 65536 or am i misunderstanding something here .

And the max number of tris per material is 21844 ? have things changed since this earlier thread was posted . When i first started using Blender i seem to remember reading the max vert/tri count was around 64k is this still the case ?

Sorry if this reads a bit confusing, i'm in a hurry to get ready for work :)

"is it Vertices or triangles that are counted for the limit ?"

It is supposed to be vertices, but because of the bug that is never tested, and it is triangles instead.

" 174752 tris is alot more than 65536 or am i misunderstanding something here"

174752 = 21844 x 8. This comes from a long time ago, when the Blender exporter used only <triangle> tags in the collada file. Whenever the triangle count reached 21844 (which is always before the 64k vertex limit is reached), a new material started.In that process, vertex counter was reset to 0. Consequently, the vertex limit was never checked and the uploader went on adding triangles and new materials. I don't know whether it eventuall stopped for some other reason, but it certainly went on until more than 8 materials had been started. Then when it did the eventual upload, it simply ignored everything belonging to the 9th or subsequent materials, leaving the holes. If you model had only one material, the triangle count was therefore always capped at 8 x 21544. If you had some materials with fewer triangles, and those were uploaded first, then the limit would be lower because the initiall used up mmaterials had fewer than 21844 triangle.

Now the Blender exporter uses <polylist> tags, and the polygons might be triangles or quads. The part of the code with the 21844 trap is different for <polylist>, so that the numbers are more difficult to work out. However essentially the same sort of effect still happens, with the 64k limit never being applied.

I used to check this regularly, so that I could make sure the jira was updated if ut gor fixed, but I got too bored with waiting about a year ago. So I can't say definately whether it's been fixed. It's easy enough to test - just make any mesh out of quads and subdivide it until the face count is more than 87376 and then triangulate (should be >174752 tris). Then export and try opening in the uploader. If the bug is still there, the triangle count will br stuck on 174752, and if you succeed in uploading it, it will have holes in (small holes - look closely. There will be n-174752 hole where n is your real triangle count.)

Anyone who is making mesh with more than 21844 triangles per material is almost certainly already making mesh that will waste gpu resources. So the motivation to fix this might be very low. I suspect the main reason people do this is because they don't know that they should use smooth shading and use ridiculous levels of sudicision to achieve smoothness instead,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.