Maya 2014

Aurelia Chauveau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes you can use multiple materials without any difficult. just for istance make a cube  and assign to each of its 6 faces a different material. once in world you can simple edit it like you'd edit any classic secondlife primitive object, tick the box" selected face" and you can select each of those  polygons (group of polygons) that share the same material, changing the color or putting there any texture you want.

This for rigged or not rigged mesh:both of them can have multiple materials.

Just be cheap with that feature and use it only if needed, for istance if a part of yur mesh would need a stand alone secondary texture for more details . Calculate pro and contra everytime

You can add up to 8 different materials for each mesh. once in world with a very short scriptie you can assign them different textures and stuff same was as in the past yo'd have controlled via script diffeent textures for different faces on a prim.

in case you want more fun you can also experiment for each face different normal maps,specular maps  quickly generated with maya substance plugin ( it's not active by default but in your plugin manager)

• 5 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this - a big "whew" re. direct export to .dae files in Maya 2014.

Having said that, I'm having loads of trouble with the Maya 2014 to SL transition on my new, fabulous and expensive machine.  I am trying to figure out if it's a Windows 8 issue, an "old files into new" issue (the "export to OBJ, then reimport" scheme), or a material/LOD issue.  Or did  I forget to check the right box when I reinstalled 2014 on the new machine?

I did copy over my old settings into Maya 2014 - so that part is working right.  The biggest problem has been that the steps that worked pre-new machine aren't working anymore.  Of course I'm still learning, but what could be so radically different at this point?  The two most difficult issues have been getting the following warnings when I export to Collada:

"The plug-in will tessellate meshes with smooth mesh preview according to corresponding preview division levels maya error message"

and:  "While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.  Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node tiarabasetrial will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved."

And then when trying to upload to SL: "material of model is not a subset of reference model sl"

Any insights (constructive, please) would be much appreciated.  I want to get back in the groove.  I guess the main question is, is there a way to "wipe clean" the model to get it to work?  Much thank yous in advance..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.