Bone weight problem

Melysange

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have a problem when i try to rig a mesh avatar.. i downloaded an avatar from a website for my personal use just to test how to rig it. (the file is in .dae format)

here it is on the picture:

lara1.JPG

As i want to rig it, i make my own skeleton (a basic one as it is just to test and be more confident with Blender tools). I first clicked on add--> Armature--> Single Bone, then i extruded it on the mesh to make it suit the avatar properly. Here is a pic of what i did:

lara2.JPG

But then when i select the mesh model and the armature and press ctrl+p "Deform with automatic weights", i got the following error message : "Bone heat weighting: Failed to find a solution for one or more bones"

I've googled it a few times and i saw a video with a few tips like deleting the modifiers used (but i haven't used any) or deleting group vertexes.. I tried everything mentionned in the video but i still have this bone weighting issue..

I am still new to Blender, i know how to make fitted mesh but i can't seem to make a simple rig with the automatic weight armature.

Anyone can help please? 

Ps: I use Blender v2.71

I bet you have overlapping or intersecting  faces in unconnected meshes within your object(s). In general this could be weighted manually but the automatic tols fail sometimes because they do not know which vertex would have to get how much weight.

The best way to get out of this is to avoid disconnected intersecting meshes within your objects. Actually this issue turns up often when users try to model teeth in their creatures faces. I could imagine that in your case maybe the teeth are actually modelled in a similar way. But this is just a guess. Te problem could easily come from other areas of your object(s) as well.

Hi Gaia,

I've heard about that problem regarding the teeth and eyes, but the avatar i have here comes in one single mesh object, i can't remove the eyes and teeth unless i work face by face and delete it myself one by one, would i have a chance to fix this Bone weighting problem if i do that? 

Melysange wrote:

Hi Gaia,

I've heard about that problem regarding the teeth and eyes, but the avatar i have here comes in one single mesh object, i can't remove the eyes and teeth unless i work face by face and delete it myself one by one, would i have a chance to fix this Bone weighting problem if i do that? 

Technically, you don't need the head at all, so if you are going to do that, just select the whole head and delete it. Also, I would try parenting it with no weights, as you can transfer the weights in other ways too. Off the top of my head, I think you just have to select the mesh body, and then the clothing, and then hit the space bar, and type in TRANSFER, as seen in the image below.

TransferWeights.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.