how can i create medical records?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i am a physician on a roleplay sim, and would be nice to have inworld medical records on all my patients. of course i am not the only physician in my group.  with that said, how can i have medical record storage on a sim,  complete with a select group of people able to edit, add and modifty any and all records on a sim?

keep in mind, this isnt my sim.  but if it helps any i could ask the sim owner for land group privileges.....

That's a scripting challenge. There are several ways to approach it, but most are a bit hard unless you have  a fair knowledge of LS scripting.

One solution that is fairly simple and does not involve scripting is simply to rez a prim and let people drop notecards into it.  You'll need to set the prim to your group and click Share With Group on the general page of your edit tool while you have the prim selected.  That way, anyone in the group sholuld be able to add or remove notecards.  It's mildly secure.  At least non-group members shouldn't be able to mess with it. It's just not very elegant.  If you want a queryable system, that's where you'll need a script.

There could be a million ways of going about this which depend on what you really want, for example how complicate and realistic verses how simple.

For simple you might be able to do it with a menu system.

For more realistic you could do it web based and display the data using shared media (MOAP). Like this one: http://rheumnow.com/?q=blog/electronic-medical-record-good-bad-and-ugly

Displaying a web site on a prim is quite easy. MOAP is a common technology that anyone in SL can use, using only the tools in the viewer's built-in editor.  The trick, as you note, is having a web site to display.  In your case, that would mean building an off-site database (probably SQL) and hosting it on a server somewhere so that you can link to it.  Depending on the size of your database, the cost of hosting might be fairly low.  You'd have to have someone write the script in PHP, or PERL, or whatever and build the database and then the web site.  Personally, that seems like a lot of work (and expense) for a RP, but that's not my call.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.