How well does the GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card measure up?

Sinister Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Getting a custom built desktop to use for SecondLife instead of trying to use my laptop.  Specs are listed below:

CPU - Q9550
Motherboard - XFX 780i sli
Ram - 8GB DDR2 (4 sticks of 2GB)
Hard drive - Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid SSD 500GB
Graphics Card - MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr II edition
Operating System - Windows 7 Premium 64bit

Right now, I can't enable shadows, DoF, etc.... would like to know how this would measure up.  I've tried to do a search for thi graphics card but I'm not too savy on hardware.

Thanks for any help!  :matte-motes-big-grin: 

EDIT:  I am not having this built, I didn't choose these specs.  I found this online for sale and will be trading my HP Envy laptop for it :) 

4 answers to this question

The 560 is a good card.  All the different variations like 'Ti' confuse the hell out of me, but from http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_family_uk.html it looks like its better than a 'plain' 560.  Should be very good, I'd think, although I'm not a hardware buff.

This thread continues at: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/How-well-does-the-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-graphics-card-measure-up/m-p/1485815/message-uid/1485815#U1485815

• Like 1

The video card is up to the task (though shadows and DoF will slow it down apprecitively).  What I'm questioning is your choice of CPU (an older Core 2 quad CPU) and why the heck are you going to DDR2 memory?  The Core 2 series CPU's are really very good but they are outdated by about 3 years.........an i5 or i7 series if you are going Intel are much better choices.  DDR2 memory is much slower than DDR3 and because of that you are not going to realize much performance boost with that 8 gigs.  It might be that your motherboard is what is limiting your choices (I haven't looked the MB up so I'm guessing here).  If that's the case I sure would go with a more recent motherboard.  It would be a disappointment for you if you wanted to upgrade some hardware device a year from now and find out you can't because you have an old, outdated motherboard.  The 500 GB SSD is a fast and excellent hard drive........but with the slow memory you're defeating the purpose to some extinct.  If necessary go with a smaller SSD to save enough to upgrade the MB, CPU and memory (SSD's are expensive I know).

• Like 1

It's up to you but purchasing a used computer is iffy at best. But maybe this is a refurb......better but still you're buying an old computer. One that there is no way to know how well the computer has been maintained or if it's been subject to abuse in the past. The video card is a recent one and SSD's are relatively new too. That would indicate to me that HP has replaced what was in the computer before they took it as trade in (I'm assuming it's a refurb by HP). Hewlett Packard would not replace something in a computer that was working..........what caused a video card and hard drive to fail and need replacement? Heat is probably the reason (it is for so many computer failures, I'm just going with the odds). And heat is almost always due to poor maintenance in desktops (laptops are not necessarily the same since they run hot even under good circumstances). If that computer was over heated to the point of distroying a video card and hard drive, it most likely got hot enough to damage other hardware components.

Hope it comes with a good warranty......more than 30 days. Ask some hard questions of HP before you give them a check. That's my advise.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.