Having issues with SSD/HDD management

Dizzy Harlequin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have 2 main disk drives: An SSD ( my C:\,  with only 50Gb ), and a standard HDD (my E:\, with 1TB ).  Even though I told Second Life to install to a directory on my E: drive, I see there's a TON (over 2 gigs) of material installed onto the C: drive.  Is there any way to migrate that over onto my E: drive?  As much as the speed might be nice and all, I really can't spare 2.5 gigs out of only 50 on my C: SSD for a game.  The SSD is mainly there for the OS and a few other high-demand applications.

1 answer to this question

The viewer's biggest consumption of disk space is the cache. You can move that to another drive. To do that open the viewer and Preferences->Advanced just point it to a new location.

I suggest you create a folder just for the viewer cache. Exclude it from your antivirus. Then change your viewer.

Creating a new cache does not erase to old one. You will need to manually delete it to get your disk space back.

C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Local\[Viewer_Name]

Some third party viewers will allow you to move the inventory cache and chat logs also.

I just bought a 512gb M.2 SSD for US$120 on eBay. You may want to consider upgrading. After all it is the cache the viewer needs fast access too. In the forum you see that most people talking about setting up SSD's for SL are talking about getting the cache on the SSD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.