Has anyone who couldnt connect to sl due to updating friendslist figure out how to fix it?

paradise Farspire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

The standard reply is, have you tried to clear your cache?

A Viewer auto-update might be the problem.

I'm not sure if this is related to the group tag problem, that is when a Tag from a group you joined prevents you from logging in.

If you don't find a standard solution, you could try to use an alternate viewer.

Several weeks ago, I had to wait for about 20 minutes, all it said was "updating". I thought there was a problem, but I decided to wait and it worked. Not saying this is your solution but it was for me.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clear_Cache#Clearing_the_Cache_from_Outside_Second_Life

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Alternate_viewers#non-linden

I'm looking for additional info. Atm, it appears using an older Viewer like 3.0.0 might solve the problem.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Old_versions

I also suspect that a person in your friends list may have an invalid character in either their display name or group title tag, possibly.

Try logging into a different region. Try Pooley or Furball. They are typically deserted and empty, so the region performs well and viewer updates work better.

You may have to change your preferences before logging in to choose your login location. Press Ctrl-P and look on the General tab. There is a Show Location at Login option. Enable it. Then type in either Pooley or Furball then login.

Before getting carried away and clearing the cache, old advice from before the cache size was increased, check the Grid Status. It can take a couple of hours and possibly more for a problem to appear there. But, it is better to leave you viewer and computer alone until you know whether SL is the problem. It often is.

If you decide to use other viewers, there is more you need to know. Otherwise you'll add to your problems. Read through Second Life Clean Install. It is old but it covers the problems associated with using multiple viewers.

I'm not so sure your tag is the problem. The only way to remove a tag is to create an Alt and log in to SL, then briefly explain the problem to the group owner manager, and ask them to remove you from the group (if you can guess which group, a group with mature tags might be a problem) You can reference this thread if the manager has doubts about who you are as an Alt.

I've been looking for a solution, some answer point towards checking your Firewall settings.

Any additional help will require additional information from you. Your pc, os, Viewer type, type of internet connection (wireless?)

Swear words could present a problem.

I was thinking about the Alt option. If you create another account, an Alt account, and you can log in to SL, then the problem would be associated to your main account and not your pc or Viewer. If you cannot login with an Alt, the issue is may be with with your pc, viewer, modem or router.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.