Dreadful performance

Dima Schridde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a good pc with a gtx980 and i7 and it runs like crap. I used MSI afterburner to gauge it (the game itself automatically sets almost the max settings for everything) and the game is not even pushing half of the GPU usage and no matter what settings I set (ultra, high, medium), I cannot get a sustained fps as it jumps from 15-40 (even at the lowest settings!).

This is rather disgusting as the game is not a looker to begin with.

Dima Schridde wrote:

This is rather disgusting as the game is not a looker to begin with.

That's the tradeoff for having a platform which is wide open for a wide range of creational freedom. Pretty much the entire content in this virtual world is build by it's users. There is no knowledge required how to develop professional grade  realtime game optimised content to start building your world in Second Life. Then there are certain rules, and limitations on the platform, which makes it rather difficult to achieve a comparable performance (and look) to what current gen games provide.

Considering that your user name has a last name, I would assume that you would know that already, or maybe you just wanted to share that you have 980 and an i7?

What it took me and a lot of others to realize is that sl isnt like most AAA games. This world allows anyone who can model upload and they do not put restrictions on the mesh model. My wife has the belleza body and while it is beautiful it sure can stress a system on its own. Turn on shadows and this another big hit.  With my 980ti and and i7 I can sustain roughly 50 to 90fps at my home.. When I go out... it tanks, The number of people you have in the scene and their body complexity will drag your system into the dirt. 

I found that using a viewer like firestorm it will allow you to turn on shadows but ony for the rest of the world. Rendering body shadows renders all the extra polygons they forgot to take out.

If you are going to continue in this world is quick that you learn your powerful hardware is pretty wasted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.