question about meshing hair for sl...

Skye Meinster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hey everyone!

i'm starting to mess around with the idea of making second life hair on blender, i tried two methods (tapered cylinder and plane hair) and while i enjoy working with planes better, there are two things i wanted to ask-

1. ive been duplicating the hair and flipping normals on it so its not invisible on the inside, like i would do making hair for the sims or other games. is that considered acceptable for second life hair or do people usually do different things, like not using planes in the first place and using cylinders instead? is it preferable to use the solidify modifier on the planes instead of duplicating?

2. i uploaded some of my attempts at making hair to beta grid, and it cost about 290L$ to upload the mesh. is that considered reasonable? about how much, on a rough estimation, would it cost to upload mesh hair to second life? 

thanks for reading and i hope my questions are overly noobish :) 

While I haven't made a lot of hair, I like the finished product of cylinders (or another 3D shape) over planes.  Unless you have a ton of planes, they seem less than convincing (at least the ones I have seen). The folks that I blog for seem to use a 3D shape of some kind and I love their hairs.

From my point of view (again I don't do this often) the solidifier and duplicating and flipping are often very close to the same thing. I suspect that which one would be better would depend on your shape.

2. i uploaded some of my attempts at making hair to beta grid, and it cost about 290L$ to upload the mesh. is that considered reasonable? about how much, on a rough estimation, would it cost to upload mesh hair to second life?

NOOOOOOOO. Not good. LOL.   The uploader has three sections that count for the land impact.  Download, Physics and Server.  

If Physics is the issue, use a plain cube as the Physics model (browse choice, find the dae cube you have saved, use it).  If it is SERVER -- then you likely need to JOIN all those pieces of hair before exporting. Most often it might be DOWNLOAD, and there the last LOD should most likely  be set as low as possible. We can't really see an avatar well half way across the sim, no reason to see the hair of said avatar :D.

Most of my uploads, even fairly complex ones are 1 land impact ($11 or $12). Hair is "small" so it gets a break on that part of the equation. Go back to the beta grid, see what category the offending number (highest) is in and adjust your method - settings accordingly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.