Permanently change default pose in Blender

beanster Potato

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi again ^^ is it possible at all to fully and permanently get rid of the default T-pose by replacing it by a more natural pose? I've adjusted the pose into something that fits my needs which stays in place most of the time in all modes after modifiers were applied to avatarmesh. Only when the armature is selected, the bones switch back to Tpose again in edit mode. I've tried to use 'apply pose as rest pose' with all bones selected in pose mode but instead of making it the current pose as shown on screen the rest pose, it pops into Tpose instead x.x so i guess we're stuck with Tpose forevah? Im not planning to animate, only need the avatar in the right pose to apply & skin/weight clothing to. Thanks : )

blender 2.63 / avastar

pose dramatique.jpg

Well, you could force your rig to use another T-Pose. But this will result in bad distortions as soon as you try to upload your models to Second Life.

But you have Avastar and that comes with a solution for your problem. Since you asked here, i will answer here with a small mini tutorial:

Baking to a Rest Pose

1. Adjust the pose of the Avastar character to the pose which you prefer. That can be any pose you like
  2. I personally would now store this new "default pose" in a pose library. (See the "object data" properties section of the character armature) but you do not need to use a pose library..
  3. Adjust your garment to your "default pose" as needed.
  4. Do a weight copy from the Avastar weights to your garment
  5. In the tool shelf you now find the function you need to proceed: "Bake T Pose": This function actually transforms your mesh into an equivalent T-Posed form, such that when the current pose is applied to that transformed mesh, it will end up looking like your original mesh.

You  find a more detailed (video-) tutorial here: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avastar/mesh/

Pose libraries

Now here is an additional info that also applies to any other armature like in  avatar.blend or in the avatar workbench:

If you want to reuse your default pose in other blend files, you can do it like this:

1. Create a new rigged character (for example an Avastar character)
  2. add a new pose library (in pose mode)
  3. Create your poses and add them to the pose library
  4. save as myDefaultCharacter.blend

Whenever you want to reuse the pose library:

1. Either just copy the myDefaultCharacter.blend for your new projects.
  2. Or append the pose library as described here:

Appending a pose library:

1. File -> append
  2. Now navigate to your myDefaultCharacter.blend
  3. Now enter the subfolder "Action". there you find your pose library. Select it.

When you now create a new rigged character, then you find the just appended pose library in the library selector of the characters rig.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.