Dreaded .Dae Parsing Error. I Have NO MORE HAIR to pull out. :( Help!!

Gabrielle Gregory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there!  I have uploaded MANY MANY successful items , but all of a sudden on a -simple- rigged item, I am getting the dreaded .dae parsing error!

http://grabilla.com/0371f-748fa310-72e8-4f41-a9c1-8788b6ca6cb0.html#

http://grabilla.com/0371f-fff66c56-e973-4347-96aa-23ba9ed47885.html#

Here is what I know:

1. My Firestorm log has nothing related in it.

2. All vertices have at least 1 but not more than 4 assignments

3. I am selecting the object properly

4. This is the first time I have started with a cube instead of a cylinder and used subsurface modifiers. (why should there be a difference?)

5. I can't -find- an issue as simple as material names etc.

6. When unweighted, the object imports okay, so I feel like it is a weighting issue,  I just don't know why!  This happened to me once before and I scrapped the creation.  I don't want to scrap this one!! 

7. When I "check mesh"  it tells me there is 1 Report in the Console, but I can't find said report. 

HALP! And Thank you in advance!

Check the file path and make sure it is not massively long . also make sure the file is on the same hard drive as SL is installed

also no odd characters in the file path or name like #

Try saving/exporting the file to a different folder then upload to SL

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/DAE-Parsing-Error-Fixed-for-me-might-help-you/td-p/1632567

There was one annoying reason why the SL Importer would not be able to parse a collada file. that is when you have customized your SL viewer to use a foreign language (different from english). In that case the SL mesh importer tends to fail because it has a language dependent bug: It makes wrong assumptions about '.' and ',' when it comes to numbers ... ridicoulous ...

If the language problem is not the reason for your issue, then i  would be very interested to take a look at the blend file and possibly also at the generated collada file, to see what breaks the SL Importer this time...

However i wonder a bit...

1.) The "check mesh" sounds like its a button added by Avastar. However that button is named "Report to Console" So maybe i am wrong and you mean something else. Although on the other hand "1 Report in the Console" sounds again llike something that is written by Avastar's report tool... But well, if it IS the Avastar tool that you use, then you find the report in the Blender Console. (enable it by Window  -> toggle System Console)

2.) from your second picture i see the rig that you use is apparently reimported into Blender. While that is probably not really a problem, i wonder why you do not use the original Avastar rig (if you have Avastar), or the rig from the workbench or avatar.blend as all of these are known to work well...

Hi there!  The rig is a rig for a child's mesh avatar/ body,  and I do have avastar installed, but I have never been able to use it as I get a seriously long list of errors each time.  SO,  I just export as default dae and usually have no issue!  

No foreign language issues for sure,  all English,  but I will try the previous suggestion and save to a diff file. 

ALSO,  interestingly enough,  I remade the shorts following the exact steps, but started with a cylinder and they exported and uploaded perfectly.  I did nothing differently,  but I still want to figure this out because I like the look of a cube/subs mod better.   Any ideas on why it works for a cylinder but not a cube?  I can't figure out the discrepancy in shapes. So weird.

I did not know the "check mesh" was actually an avastar add on.  Do you think some of the problem could be avastar for me? Since I am not using it anyway maybe I should A) Figure out the errors I am getting on Avastar or B) uninstall Avastar and try again!

Out of patience! 

Gabrielle Gregory wrote:

Hi there!  The rig is a rig for a child's mesh avatar/ body,  and I do have avastar installed, but I have never been able to use it as I get a seriously long list of errors each time.

I can not accept that you are not able to use Avastar. If the tool is so severely broken, then i am very interested to learn about what makes it not work for your purpose, so that we then can hopefully fix the tool.

Gabrielle Gregory wrote:

ALSO,  interestingly enough,  I remade the shorts following the exact steps, but started with a cylinder and they exported and uploaded perfectly.  I did nothing differently,  but I still want to figure this out because I like the look of a cube/subs mod better.   Any ideas on why it works for a cylinder but not a cube?  I can't figure out the discrepancy in shapes. So weird.

Well, this may be a VERY important detail. Can you provide a blend file that contains 2 models, one made with a cylinder, the other made with a cube. Where the cylinder based model imports fine to SL but the Cube based model makes the SL Importer chocke ?

This could help a lot to figure out what's going on and how we can possibly fix it (in blender or avastar or sl importer). It looks pretty much like an issue with the order of verts in the mesh....

Gabrielle Gregory wrote:

Do you think some of the problem could be avastar for me? Since I am not using it anyway maybe I should A) Figure out the errors I am getting on Avastar or B) uninstall Avastar and try again!

I am pretty sure that Avastar has nothing to do with your issue. If you do not use it, it sits aside and just does nothing. And the Check tool won't help you either here. We first would need to learn more about the problem. Only then we can improve the check tool, and also check on this kind of defects.

So here you have double motivation to provide a demo blend file
:)

Yes I will definitely provide the blend file for each.   Where should I send them?   I have tried so many times to resolve each avastar problem so that I can upload that way one, one at a time and I fail miserably.

Unfortunately I am not experienced enough to deal with all these issues on my own!  Thanks so much for helping,  please let me know where to send the files!

Gabby

Update!  Today I decided to work a little with the avastar rig, and I created a basic skirt, rigged it to the avastar rig and tried to export it.  Unfortunately I got the same errors as with the other items I have been working on when I use avastar so I decided to screen shot the issues I am having.  Hopefully they are simple and I can work through them one at a time!

Thanks in advance! 

PS. Also, today I was able to upload a cube mesh via avastar, though it was unrigged.  I still cannot do this rigged.  

errors.jpg

Hi, Gabrielle;

Regarding the  Avastar error:

This is a very old issue, introduced (some time around last october i believe) when we made an incompatible modification to the Rig. But the error was fixed shortly after it appeared.

So actually you only need to update to Avastar 1.0 and all should work well. You find the update in your Avastar download folder. However if Avastar still does not work after updating to Avastar-1.0, then i need the blend file to check what is wrong.

Regarding the other issue:

I would like to take a look at the blend file with the model that breaks the SL Importer. this can not be an Avastar issue. it must be a basic flaw maybe even with Blender. And i suspect that the problem is hidden somewhere with the order of vertices in the model.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.