Connecting Faces

wyattriot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all! I'm trying to figure out how to connect all of the highlighted areas in the image below so that a texture will fill that entire space in SL...I've searched Google, here, YouTube, but apparently I'm not searching for the correct terminology.

Appreciate your help!

First assign a separate material to that part if you want it to have a different texture than the rest. Then type 7 so you are looking directly down at the top. Choose Project from View when you unwrap. Then in the UV window, scale it to fill the window.

You can also make the unwrapped top smaller so it will fit in the UV space with the side parts, if you don't want them to overlap. Then you may or may not need to assign separate materials.

As Pam said you probably need to give the other unselected faces their own material :)

Just adding this because you seem to have alot of unnecessary faces in your mesh. I have pointed to some of them in red in the image below.

If you want to remove them : select all the faces of the mesh with the keyboard shortcut key A then from the tools panel on the right  ( T ) hit the  Remove Doubles button.

If "Remove Doubles " doesn't remove them all you can try, (with all the mesh selected) :  Mesh > Clean up > Degenerate Dissolve

Thank you both so much! :matte-motes-smile:

Another question: Say you have a shape (an octagon, for example) and you want to connect all of the right/left/front/back faces in the same way as you did the top above, but you can't see all of the faces in any one view...What would you do?

Mark a vertical seam so that it is like the top/ bottom of a band wrapped around, if that makes sense. Select the faces of the band. Then choose plain unwrap. It should come out a sort of band, which you can straighten up. I would try converting triangles to quads first, just because Quads are better for any kind of modeling.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.