Does anyone know if this is real, or more scare tactics?

Sapphire Hotaling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been seeing this message posted in several of the groups I belong to. Can anyone tell me if this is true, or more scare tactics that a bored resident has created?

WARNING!!Thursday, 25 Aug 2011 22:17:34 GMT 
 Just confirmed from Live Chat, Lindens labs is aware of the following hackers scam: If you happen to receive an email from "Second Life" "no-reply@secondlife.com" asking you to click a link, do not click it!  It is not from Linden Labs, & it will lead you to resetting your password, then your password to be stolen by the hacker" stay safe, & take care Programs.. End of line...
Sent by amoni Crystal,  SLPO,  Linden Labs Inc.

Thanks everyone!

From the amount of Keystroke Scammers posting "Free Video" post here, I would say to take it serious and I too have gotten this email.  It seems that the gold farmers have found it is far easier to hack peoples accounts to get currency than the play for countless hours or camp to get money which they then sell.

WoW has been having issues to the point where they now have an Authenticator that changes your password every 10 seconds.   Since Cataclysm came out, it is much easier to get in game gold and the prices have plummeted. Now they need to find currency with more value to keep their Chinese Prisoners actively making money.

I don't know about this warning in particular, but the advice correctly applies to all email.  Always doubt the source of email.  Never give private information (such as a password) in response to an email request.  If you feel a need for action, follow your normal method of accessing the site and check the status or change your password.

And if you get email like this without a warning attached to it by your email service, maybe you want to change your email service.  My Gmail puts such messages in my spam box with a red warning banner,  I may even find that message the next time I look in my spam folder.

TKR 

I have also seen on that said Your Account Is In Violation of our Terms of Service, please log in here to learn more...yada yada..."  As mentioned above, never log into your account from a link in an email.  Always log into the main account by typing in the URL or from your bookmarks.  The same is true for banking, pay pal and everything else that is password protected.

Yes, this is true. I am the one who originally received the email and confirmed this from Live chat. Below is what i sent in my group notice:

"I just confirmed from Live Chat that if you happen to receive an email from "Second Life" "no-reply@secondlife.com" asking you to click a link, do not click it, It is not from Linden Lab and it will lead you to resetting your password and your password to be stolen. "

Today, i received 3 more mails from the same email add. Same content, asking me to click a link.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.