Weird LSL Compiler errors (when code is too complex)?

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok folks..I've been programming in LSL for years now and don't remember this happening before.

If my code gets a bit too complex for the LSL compiler, I get this message:

(All with Line 0, Column 0)

Function Args: ssiiii

Local List: (null)

Function Args: (null)

I previously manage to get the error to go away by "refactoring" my code (reducing if/else branches and string sizes mostly).  However, it has come back with a vengeance. I checked Google, no luck.

Any suggestions? This is getting a bit frustrating, and I've been pretty patient with it!

Thank you!

I couldn't swear to the messages but certainly you get wierd errors like that when you first try to compile a script in your inventory in LSLO that should be in Mono (i.e. it's over 16KB and under 64KB).   That will happen if you're using the Official Viewer (which still doesn't, as far as I know, have an option to save scripts as Mono when first they're written) to save the script for the first time..

The work-round is to rez a prim, open a new script in that, copy paste the script into it and save it as a mono script there.   Then you should be able to pull a copy into your inventory and carry on editing it there without problems. It's only the first save that's normally problematic.

Good catch..I was previously editing the script in a prim, but got lazy and have been doing some extensive revisions "in inventory" instead.  I will try putting the same script version in a prim and see if the errors go away.  If you are right, I will get errors only when compiling "in inventory" but not in a prim!

I did notice there is no "Mono" option when in inventory (but wasn't sure if maybe they just took the option away).

If you are correct, I will be able to get the error to go away after I select "Mono" in the prim and then hopefully I will be able to go back to editing "in inventory".  Note that I have been renaming the script as I update versions..so either I never selected "Mono" (and went over the limit) or maybe somehow renaming starts over.

Will post tonight after I try it. Thanks!

Ok this worked (putting the script back in a prim). However, the previous script in the prim had "mono" selected already.

I suspect that if you drag a script back into inventory from a prim, and possibly rename it, the "mono" option gets unselected.  When I dragged the new version of the script into the prim, Mono was NOT selected. I can try doing this again and see if it only breaks after a rename.

*EDIT* I tried dragging it back to inventory after a successful recompile in a prim.  The error comes right back! Guess I could always compile it in a HUD prim if I want to wander and code.

Thanks again for your help!

Glad to help.

Nowadays, I do almost all my coding in Sublime Text.  That has a pretty good debugger (Control+B).    If you've got enough desk space for two screens, though, it's so handy to copy paste from one to the other.   I also find it far easier (not to say safer) to keep my scripts organised and stored on Google Drive than in my inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.