Linden Homes are ready-to-move-in homes in themed communities that are available only to premium account members. Premium account holders can get a free Linden Home, in addition to the other benefits of premium membership. For more information, see Premium membership.
|✏️||Note: For detailed photos of our Linden Home offerings and more information about the new Linden Home continent of Bellisseria, visit our New Linden Homes 2019 page on the Official Second Life wiki.|
Linden homes come in themed communities, each with choices of individual homes:
Traditional suburban homes are arranged along tree-lined streets on 1024 sq m parcels. The homes are one and two-story buildings with shingle roofs, and in most models, a porch or patio area. A typical home has a two or more large rooms on the main floor and may have one or two upstairs. As described in a later section of this guide, you may use the House Controller on your parcel to choose among the styles pictured here, and you may use the house controller to change colors and details both inside and on the outside of the house.
A traditional home is set back from the sidewalk and may have a hedge, a wall, or a low fence to set it apart from its neighbors. You may add to the planting or other landscaping elements on the parcel .
Traditional homes are all within a convenient distance from communal park areas where you can join your friends for picnics, sports, or family activities. Some communal areas offer a dining or dance area, or a pool where you can relax.
With a houseboat home, you can enjoy life in coves and inlets around the perimeter of the continent or the large nearby island, or along rivers or around the large bay in the center of the continent. You cannot travel on a houseboat, but each houseboat parcel has room for you to moor your own sailboat or other watercraft. All water areas around the New Linden Homes continent are navigable and public.
The houseboat models have large rooms with a high ceiling and skylights, plus a deck area outside for you to relax or entertain on.
Most houseboats are on 16 m x 64 m water parcels. Some are on square 32 m x 32 m parcels. Therefore, all have an area of 1024 sq m. All are accessible by open water. You may also walk easily from one place to another, along wooden docks that divide the parcels, or along sandbars and spits from the mainland.
Houseboats are all within convenient reach of community areas and cultural venues (lighthouses, beaches, and community buildings where you may gather with friends).
Experience the country life while you sit back and relax in your own Linden Homes camping trailer.
Spacious trailers -- 8 different models in all -- are all set on 512 sqm (16m X 32m) parcels in beautiful wooded regions. Depending on the model you choose, your home can be a sleek, aerodynamically designed trailer, or one that looks more like a Roma caravan, or one of several other designs.
Be prepared for late 19th century living when you choose a spacious Victorian-themed home. All homes in this theme are on 32 x 32m parcels and sited in the sort of small community that would have been new 150 years ago -- complete with cobblestone streets and wrought iron street lamps. By using your House Controller, you may select any of four models, featuring signature Victorian features like turrets, expansive porches, and elegant bay windows.
The log homes are your opportunity to enjoy comfortable country living. Nestled in forested hills and valleys, these upscale log homes bring you close to nature and still let you enjoy the clean, modern lines of a house that you can live in year-round. Four styles each offer high ceilings and both upstairs and downstairs rooms. Other amenities include balconies, large windows, and a porch.
First-generation Linden Homes have limited space and land capacity. Homes in these themes are still available for purchase, but provide less land capacity and use older-style control panels:
- Tahoe - Rustic cabin retreats with winding roads among hills and pine forests.
- Elderglen - Fantasy dwellings with winding roads around hills and giant trees.
- Sahreta Osumai - Traditional Japanese homes nestled in picturesque areas with mossy rocks and colorful trees.
- Meadowbrook - California modern suburban homes with decks perfect for barbeques!
First-generation Linden Homes have a land capacity of 175 on a 512 m2 parcel and have slightly different guidelines in their covenant. Please review the About Land > Covenant section of your first-generation Linden Home for the specific guidelines that apply to your home.
Linden Homes contain one or more of the following features, depending on the type of home:
- Touch entry - Left-click the front door to enter and exit your home.
- Touch lighting - Click the lights to toggle them on and off.
- Working fireplace - Click the fireplace to toggle a fire on and off.
You'll also get a control panel that enables you to manage your home accessories and to change the textures used in your home. For more information, see Using the control panel.
You can get a Linden Home when you sign up for a premium account, upgrade your basic account to premium, or if you already have a premium account and have not claimed your Linden Home yet.
If you have a premium account and you have 512m2 available tier then you qualify for a Linden Home. For example, if you have a new premium account — you've just joined Second Life as a premium account or upgraded from a basic account — and haven't changed your land usage, then you have exactly 1024m2 of available tier.
If you don't have any land already in Second Life, then you will always have enough land tier, because each premium account comes with 1024m2 of land tier. There are two ways to check if you have enough available tier:
- Inworld: From the Viewer menus, choose World > My land holdings.... Your available land tier is listed in Available for land purchases.
Website: If you already own land, then you can also check if you have enough land tier on the Second Life website:
- Go to Your Account.
- On the left side of the page, click Account Summary.
- Find the section called Land Holdings
- Available square meters for purchase at your current tier is listed under Available for purchase.
The Linden Home registration process offers options for theme, home type, and home name. Once you submit your registration, your selected home is immediately generated on the next available parcel within your selected theme. You cannot request a specific region or parcel location.
- Go to join.secondlife.com.
- Complete your registration.
- Upgrade to premium as prompted.
- Go to Linden Home registration and log in with your Second Life account and password.
- Go to Premium Membership registration and log in with your Second Life account.
- Follow the account upgrade process.
- Once your account is upgraded to Premium Membership, the page will redirect to Linden Home registration.
- Go to Linden Home registration and log in with your Second Life account and password.
- View the four themed communities and home options within each theme.
- Click on your preferred home image.
- Name your home.
- Click Next.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and check the box agreeing to them.
- Click Accept.
- Review your Linden Home information on the confirmation page.
- Click Go to your Home or use the SLurl provided.
If you didn't receive your email confirmation, be sure to check your email application's spam folder.
It's also possible there has been an error in the email process, and your Linden Home is ready and waiting for you. If your Linden Home is ready, a landmark is sent to you inworld. If there appears to be such a problem, head to the Support Portal and submit a ticket. Identify whether the email did not go through and your home is actually available, or whether there was a problem with the registration process overall.
Your welcome email will provide the location of your Linden Home. If you lost or did not receive your welcome email, then there are two ways to locate your Linden Home:
On the Second Life website:
- Log in using your Second Life username and password.
- Go to your Account Dashboard.
- On the left, click Land Manager.
- Click My Mainland.
- Look for the name of the Linden Home that you chose when you registered. Click the link in theLocation column to teleport there.
- Login to Second Life with the Second Life Viewer
- Choose World > My land holdings...
- Select the parcel that matches your chosen Linden Home name.
You will be teleported to your Linden Home.
To change your choice of Linden Home type, you must abandon your current Linden Home and then register for a new one.
To abandon your Linden Home:
- Choose World > About Land and click the General tab.
Click Abandon Land.
After you confirm your choice, the land is removed from your account.
Now if you wish, you can register for another Linden Home.
- Decorate your home with furniture or other items from Second Life Marketplace.
- Your partner or friends can help you decorate as well. Linden Home parcels work just like any other parcel of land in that regard; who can rez objects on your land depends on the About Land settings. See Managing land for more information.
- Customize textures used in your Linden Home via the control panel. See Using the control panel.
The covenant describes how you can use Linden Home land.
To view the covenant, choose World > Region / Estate, then click the Covenant tab or right-click on the ground and choose About Land then click on the COVENANT tab.
You are not allowed to:
- Terraform Linden Home land, sell it, deed it to a group, join it with another parcel, or divide the land.
- Modify the structure. For example, you can not move or eliminate individual components of your Linden Home such as the fireplace or a window.
- Move or rotate the structure. Your Linden Home must remain as it came on its 512m2 parcel. If you want both a Linden Home and more land for your premium account, you can use your remaining tier and/or upgrade on the Land Use Fees page.
Also, you agree that your Linden Home:
- Is for residential use only. Business use of any kind is prohibited, including parcel rental, rental boxes, classified ads or other forms of advertising, and event listings.
- Will be kept presentable and in-theme.
- Does not include traffic tracking.
- Land cannot contain temporary object rezzers or individual prims beyond the maximum size allowed by the Second Life Viewer build tools. Skyboxes are allowed on the Bellisseria continent above 2000 meters. Skyboxes are not allowed for first-generation Linden Homes.
Living in a community includes courtesy towards your neighbors. Here are some guidelines for etiquette in Linden Home regions:
- Use local chat say, rather than shout.
- Adhere to the maturity rating for the Linden Home region you are in.
- Respect your neighbors' privacy.
- Review general Second Life etiquette suggestions and incorporate them into your Linden Home experience.
Each Linden Homes parcel is equipped with a House Controller like the one shown here. It is just outside the parcel boundary, often near a street or sidewalk or on the dock next to a houseboat parcel. Yours may look like a mailbox or some other marker appropriate to the neighborhood.
A House Controller is your tool for selecting the specific model of home you want to erect on the parcel. To use it, simply left-click on it. The House Controller will only respond if you are the current owner of the parcel. It will not respond to guests, friends, or strangers.
When you rez a new home, we advise you to wait for 30 seconds before using any of the house controls. This will allow time for the home to download important information about its decor and access permissions.
Choose a home from one of the available models by clicking one of the numbered buttons. Your new home will appear near the center of the parcel, replacing whichever home was there before. You cannot rotate the home (except for Camping Trailers) or move it to another spot on the parcel. Linden Homes are always rezzed with the front door facing the House Controller.
You may replace the model on your parcel at any time. Homes within a theme all fit in the same parcel area, so they will not interfere with vegetation, fencing, or other objects that Linden Lab has placed on land next to your parcel. However, because each model has a different floor plan, you will usually need to move furniture or other items that you have placed in a previous home so that it is arranged well in your new home.
If you select the notecard option, you will receive an instructional notecard. It will explain the features of your house in greater detail than they are covered in this guide.
If you select the Content Creation Pack option, you will receive a folder of items that you may use to landscape your parcel and decorate your home.
As you enter a Linden Home, you will find a Control Panel just inside the front door. The control panel is your tool for customizing the appearance of your home and for controlling access. The layout of menu buttons for a Control Panel varies slightly from one theme to another, but all Linden Homes have the same basic set of functions described here.
Click on the Control Panel to see the main menu of your options:
When you make most changes with the Control Panel, you receive confirmation in chat. A notice appears within a few seconds to tell you that the new information has been recorded in the system.
The Door button offers you a choice between allowing your doors to Stay Open when you click on them, or to AutoClose within ten seconds after they are opened.
The Windows button on the main menu toggles the window covering (blinds) up or down. Using this button in the Control Panel toggles all windows in the house at once, so that they are all either up or down at the same time. If you (or a person you have granted access to) want to raise or lower a single window covering, you can do that by simply left-clicking on the window covering (Note: Some house models also offer the option to open and close individual windows. Where that option is available, it is not managed in the Control Panel. To open a window, you just left-click on it).
The Access button, which is only visible to you as the parcel owner, will let you give additional people permission to use the Control Panel menus. Using its Add Name menu option, you create a whitelist and add anyone you choose. The person does not need to belong to a special group. You may remove the person’s access permission at any time by clicking this same Access button and using the Remove Name option. If you have created a whitelist, you may check to see who is on it by using the View List option.
The Access menus allow you to control who has permission to use some features in your home. There are three access levels:
- ONLY ME is the highest level. If you click that menu button, nobody else may use the Control Panel, operate the window blinds, or open doors.
- LIST is the middle level. If you have created a whitelist, selecting LIST gives people on the list permission to operate window and door functions, and most functions in the Control Panel (but not the Access functions).
- ANYONE is the lowest level. If you click that button, anybody may open doors or operate the blinds. Only you and people on the whitelist may use the Control Panel.
Please note that the Access menu does not control permission to rez objects in your home, or change its music stream. Manage those permissions by creating a group for your home, as discussed later in this guide.
The Redecorate button offers options which are different in each home theme, although some features are found in all themes.
- The Outside button offers different color schemes for painting the siding on the home.
- The Wall button lets you change the color of the walls inside your home.
- The Floor button lets you choose among options for flooring inside the home, so you may opt for carpeting or different types of wood flooring.
- Submenu buttons on some themed homes include options for changing the color of the Roof, Trim, Deck, or other parts of the home that are special for that theme.
Most menus in your Control Panel also contain two other buttons. The Done button closes the Control Panel menus and saves your most recent changes in the system’s memory. The Back button opens the previous dialog menu.
Custom interior wall colors
Starting with the Victorian Homes, introduced in late 2019, the Control Panel includes a new option for decor, the ability to create up to nine custom colors to apply to interior walls in your home.
Clicking on the My Colors button in either the Main menu or the Redecorate > Walls menu opens a submenu that lets you decide whether to create a New Color or apply one that you have created before:
You may then use either a Color Picker (graphic interface) or may type in RGB values for a color that you may have designed elsewhere.
The Color Picker is similar to the interface that you will find in your SL viewer’s Edit > Texture > Color panel:
If you choose the Type <RGB> option instead, it opens a text box where you may enter numerical values for the Red, Green, and Blue components of a color
Once you have created a color using either method, you may apply it to the walls in any room in the house. You may also apply any of nine preset colors if you wish.
As a homeowner, you may want to personalize your parcel by adding vegetation, pathways, rocks, or other decorative items. Please remember to stay within the theme of your neighborhood. For more specific details, refer to the covenant in World > About Land when you are standing in your parcel.
As an aid, your Linden Home comes with a free Content Creation Pack. In it, you will find items that you may use to spruce up your home/parcel -- items such as decor items, textures, wall/fence kits and lighting may be included. Unlike the house itself, which does not add to the Land Impact on your parcel, these extra objects and anything else that you rez will add land impact, so be careful to stay within your limit. Refer to World > About Land > Objects to verify your available land impact.
You may receive the Content Creation Pack by clicking on the appropriate menu option in your House Controller.
Texture packs with the building textures for each first-generation Linden Home theme are available at the Linden Home infohubs. Resale of textures is prohibited.
Texture pack locations:
Total privacy in an open community like Linden Homes is not possible, but there are ways that you can manage access to your home and its features. As noted above, for example, you can use your home’s Control Panel to control who may enter your home and use its redecorate functions. You may also use the Options tab in World > About Land to determine who is allowed to rez objects on your parcel and whether people outside the parcel can see and hear what you are doing.
You may not use selections in the Access tab of About Land to set ban lines around your parcel, but you may use the Linden Homes Security System (found in the Content Creation Pack) to eject unwanted visitors from your parcel. You may not use other security systems that have a shorter warning time or a greater detection range than the Linden Homes Security System.
The security system is designed to be wall-mounted. When activated, it scans your parcel as much as 400m above and below the control unit, provides a warning to unauthorized visitors, and then ejects them from the parcel. It does not detect people in neighboring parcels. You may adjust the system’s range and the amount of warning time (minimum 15 seconds), and may tell the system to ignore members of your group or specific people that you have added to its whitelist. The system will not function if it is placed at an altitude between 100m and 2000m above sea level, but can be used in your Linden Home or in a skybox above 2000m. Instructions for setting up the system and operating it are provided on a notecard with the unit, and in shortened form, by clicking on the system’s help (?) button.
As a premium account holder, you're eligible for live chat and ticket support from the Support Portal. If you need support for your Linden Home:
- Go to the Support Portal and choose Submit a Support Case.
- Select Land and Region from the first dropdown menu.
- Select Linden Home Issues from the second dropdown menu.
- Fill out the required fields; make sure to include as much relevant information as possible when describing your issue.
- Click Submit to submit your ticket.
If there is an issue with the terraforming of your parcel or nearby land that you suspect is an error:
- Go to the Support Portal.
- Click Contact Support.
- Click Submit a Support Case form.
From the dropdown menus, choose:
- Land and Region
- Linden Home Issues - Terrain or Content
- Fill in the rest of the required fields.
- Click Submit to submit your ticket.
The Bellisseria Fairgrounds is open to all Premium Residents of Second Life to use for their events. Private events that require the Fairgrounds to be restricted to a certain list or group of people are not a good use for the space; however, if you are happy to welcome anyone to your events then the Bellisseria Fairgrounds is a great place to choose to plan your next party, get together, shindig or whatever!
Any Premium member can reserve the Bellisseria Fairgrounds for their event, though preference will be given to members of Bellisseria Resident groups. While any public event is welcome at the Fairgrounds, we encourage the planning of events that contribute to and support the Bellisseria community spirit.
Use this form to reserve the Bellisseria Fairground to host an event: http://bit.ly/BellisseriaFairgroundsCalendar