What is this error mesh : "The model exceeds 4000 instances."

Nickel Briand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to upload a mesh with 2730 faces , 3759 vertexes. at high details

I know in some other models , it has worked .

But with this one , i have this curious message "The model exceeds 4000 instances." after calculating weights

What does it mean ?

What i need to change exactly to be able to uload it ?

I can't find it in the viewer source. So it mat be from the server, which makes sense if it happens when you press the calculate button. That sends the mesh data in internal format to the server for the calculations. One component in the Collada file is the <instance_geometry> of which there is one per separate mesh geometry. However, if you have only 2730 faces, you couldn't possibly exceed 4000 meshes, even if each face was a peparate object. So it sounds like something else. What software/collada exporter are you using?

Well, Sketchup does apparently have a tendency to break models up into large numbers of separate meshes, So I guess it could be something like that. If you have  alot of repetition, perhaps it is using instancing inj the collada file to duplicate stuff while the geometry definition is still a smaller number of triangles. You could have a look in the file and see how many occurrences of "<instance_geometry>" you can find.

I recently did a project, for which the client had collected a ton of Sketchup models (various furniture items, and such).  The client had assumed this would save time, but it actually yielded the exact opposite effect.   I ended up having to remake almost every single model entirely from scratch, because they were so unbelievably FUBAR'ed, in terms of geometry divisions, heirarchy, UV's, and connections. 

A couch that should have been around a thousand polygons was well over 70,000.  A chair that should have been a few hundred was over 25,000.  What should have been singular meshes were actually hundreds of little pieces, grouped and parented in dozens of hideously over-complicated ways that no human would ever conceive, and each tiny part had multiple UV maps assigned to it.  The dependencies were so thick, and so criss-crossed, that any attempt to delete excess components was all but impossible.  Try to remove something in one place, and you then find it's referenced in ten other places, so it just won't go away.  Keep trying to pull threads, and you eventually just crash the scene.  I've never seen anything else so messed up.

The only remotely sensible explanation I could think of was that Sketchup had been trying to embed its own internal construction history protocols into the COLLADA export.  If that's indeed the case, then only Sketchup itself would be able to make proper sense of the results.  All other programs would just end up hopelessly confused by what look like endless redundencies and circular dependencies.

Nickel, it sounds like your model is suffering from the same problem as the ones my client had found.  I'd be willing to be that if I were to open yours in Maya (or in any other program that allows you to graph all the various denedencies), I'd see the same "explosion at a spaghetti factory" in it that I saw in the others.

Not every Sketchup model I've encountered has had these structural problems, so it may be an issue of configuration options for export.  But all have had really sloppy geometry and UV assignments, which is to be expected from any program that doesn't allow users direct access to components.

I'd strongly recommend you choose a different modeling program.  Sketchup, it seems, can be something of a dangerous toy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.