Having problems uploading a model from blender..

ThomasG81

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, i've just created this flying helmet in blender which i intend to upload to second life to be used as an avatar headgear. I have exported it to a COLLADA 1.3.1 .dae file.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/subzero2006/helmet1.jpg

Unfortunately I am getting this screen saying 'Dae Parsing issue' when I try to upload it to second life. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, so advice would be much appreciated

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/subzero2006/uploadproblem.jpg

PS. Yes I have a premium account and full uploading rights.

I'm not sure, but it could be your collada exporter, SL uses the 1.4.0 format I think.

Also, how many faces does the helmet have and how many materials? I think issues with these will give different errors, but again, I'm not 100% sure.

Could you post your Blender version, dae exporter type and version and SL viewer type and version? That might help to narrow down the possibilities. You can also check the secondlife.log file, that will give you more detailed information on the upload error.

The mesh has 1083 vertices and 1039 faces. Quite high for a model this size but necessary for desired level of detail. As I'm too lazy to learn interface of Blender 2.6  I'm using Blender 2.49.

As for the .dae exporter and SL viewer versions, I'm not sure. The exporter is the same script that came prebundled with blender. Thats all I know unfortunately.

I'm assuming my SL viewer is the most recent version as I only began my SL career a couple of weeks ago. I've made no updates since then. Well not knowingly at least.

well, you use Collada-1.4.0 and in general it works as designed on the Blender side. But on the SL Importer side there may be a lot of issues.

You can check here for a list of potential problems with uploading to SL:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Specifications-for-SL-Compatible-DAE-Format/m-p/1344567#M10993

There you also find a hint for where to look for the log on your system. and dont worry about the cryptic messages you find there. The problem is somewhere in the last lines of the log (when you open it right after the error has happened).

One very simple test may be to just click on the "Clear settings & reset form" button. Sometimes this resets the importer to a state from where it works again ... The importer gets especially confused when you try to import multiple different meshes in a sequence, when you have collapsed triangles and quads, etc..

In your particular case it complains about a missing level of detail. A rumour tells, that this can in principle happen when you have unwrapped your model only partially. I had this issue once when i unintentionally have created lots of duplicate vertices (one copy too much in edit mode)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.