Graphic card advice

Kurama Hannu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I need some expert advice

I've got to get a new Linux-based computer, it's supposed to have the following graphic card:     Sapphire Radeon HD5450   1GB Gddr3 Vga/Dvi/Hdmi Pci-Ex LP Lite- retail

Is this card supported by Second Life?  I think it is made by ATI, but I am not sure.  The Linux-compatible graphic cards recommended on the SL website do not seem to be available on the market any longer, at least in my country.

As further info, the new comp should have this processor:   AMD Sempron 145 2.8Ghz L2-1MB Sargas skAM3,    while the motherboard should be: Kingmax 4GB S0DDR3-1333 Pc3-10600, and the hard disk a Seagate Momentus   320Gb  7200 rpm  16 Mb Satall 2.5''

Thank you for your help!!

You can find a technical review of your card at this link. Article dates febuary 2010 though.

Article also states cards like HD5850 ( as mentioned in SL requirements ) pre-date this card, so basically it should work with SL.

Not sure about performance, but benchmarks in article are set against NVidia 9800 series which is a minimal requirement these days afaik.

I' d advise to start using your viewer first WITHOUT rendered shadows and a minimal draw distance.

ETA

I' m not sure what you are asking exactly, but remember that the article is 2 years old, which of course is an eternity in computer technology. I cannot tell how well this card will run with SL .

I' m quite certain though it will run on your system.The benchmark show it will at least run better than a NVidia card of the 9800 series, so so far that tells you this card at least passes the minimal requirements for SL.

But you have to decide yourself wether you buy this card or try to get a better one.

I read several threads about graphics cards and saw the same comment repeatedly: Choose an Nvidia card. 

Of the two folks I've visited with in world that were having graphics card problems both were using AMD cards.  Not really evidence, but coupled with the repeated recommendations to choose nvidia, I went with nvidia.

I only kind of understand the technical details, but I have three different nvidia cards (520, 550, and 550m) and while I don't get crazy good graphics, I get what is reasonable to expect from these cards. 

The 600 series cards are starting to show up, so I may have jumped a bit soon on the 500 series, but I'm sure I'll be okay for a while. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.