installment issues

shade Stein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

so ive been with sl for a time now never had a real problem with it but today i crashed and it wouldnt let me log in usually i would fix this by uninstalling sl and then reinstalling it and it would work perfectly but now all of a sudden it wont even let me reinstall it its gets most of the way and then says abort retry and ignore ive tried retry multiple times tried ignore multiple times but it seems the only thing i can do is the abort which does not allow me to continue the installment  how can i fix this if you have any ideas please help....

2 answers to this question

Are you installing by "run" or "save"?  If you are running the installation from the download site that could (and likely is) be the problem.  If the download that occurs when you run the installation stalls for too long Windows will see it as a failed installation and stop the installation.  Save the setup file to your computer and install from that setup.  The likely cause of a stalled installation when running from the download site is your connection slowed or stop.  That could be (and, again, likely is) caused by your router needing to be rebooted.  To do that unplug from the eletrical source and leave unplugged or 3 to 5 minutes, plug back in and reboot your computer to re-establish your Internet connection. 

That crash you experienced also could have been related ot the router needing rebooting.  The issue of being "ghosted" (not being able to log in because the servers think you are already logged in) has very recently cropped up.........again.  It used to be common but for a year or so it's really become a rare occurrance.  The latest server update on some of the grid seems to be suspect and I hear LL is working on the problem.  Your reinstallations in the past and being able to log in again are most likely just the time it takes to uninstall and reinstall that allowed the servers to finally log you off...........the reinstallation really had nothing to do with it (just the minutes it takes to do that is what "fixed" your problem then).  The latest ghosting issue appears to be something else..........it'll get fixed I'm sure.  But the not being able to install with that error message is what I'm addressing.

Hello shade and welcome to SL Forums. At first a simple re-installation usually does no help to resolve your log in issues but a cleanre-installation does. Sounds like a corrupt installation. Some users reported problems during installation with the 2 last versions of Viewer 3 getting the following error message

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files \ SecondlifeViewer\llplugin\imageformats\qtiff4.dll

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

Clicking "skip" more .dll files appeared in a queue with the same error message. After when they were trying to run the viewer they got...

Second life crash report
Sending to server,try 1...

and then disappears...

If you have the same problem:

1)Uninstall the viewer using the windows control panel

2)Delete all contents at the following folders:

• C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and
  • C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

3)Download a fresh copy from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ and install it.

If eventually you install the viewer this way but you have still problems with your log in, post back here with the error message you get or reporting what exactly happens during the login process. If you are ghosted and you get the message that the system is logging you out, the old bug which is back affects you also. Here is a jira: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28209 You can vote there and add your comment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.