bounding box and doorways

janitor1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are you referring to creating a simplified mesh hull to replicate physics behaviour, which is uploaded WITH the main mesh itself into SL? (The mesh physics hull is automatically combined with the mesh model, so the single object acts as intended inworld). Of course, there are methods involved in optimising for LI cost etc.

If that is what you are referring to, then yah, for most people frequenting this forum it is common knowledge (or at least, I am assuming as such).

:matte-motes-smile:

What I'm referring to is that I've just worked out that I can build a full house shell in sketch-up and make so that you can walk through the doors and without putting it too phantom or anything

as for the physics I normal set it to prim not convex hull

Yah, what you are describing there is what I referred to in my earlier post. Preferably, creating a simplified physics version of the structure in a secondary mesh (to save on Land Impact costs), which when uploaded WITH your original mesh in the SL uploader (via the physics selection option) gives your mesh build functional physics (walls that are "solid" to AVs, doorways to walk through etc).

To avoid possible confusion, I should state that this second mesh, when acting as a physics hull, will be totally invisible - it's sole purpose is to give your intended mesh solid physics effects (sometimes I think people get a little confused by the physics hull and how it combines with the main mesh etc, judging by questions I get asked sometimes).

And yah, that setting in the SL build menu (prim/convex hull) is vital too, to avoid the "solid cube" effect. But definitely no need to set meshes to phantom when this is working correctly (physics hulls).

It's good that you have this aspect working though - just remember, that your physics mesh hull counts towards your overall Land Impact cost, so its always good practice to keep that relatively simple where possible (large flat surfaces are far better than lots of tiny surfaces that will put strain on the realtime physics calculations (and hence higher Land Impact cost)). Your actual main VISIBLE mesh can be still be detailed etc - just use the physics hull mesh to simulate solid surfaces for AVs to interact with (walls, floors, doorways etc).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.