Collada multi object export order with Blender 2.49b ???

Gael Streeter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everybody,

I have an issue: my meshes ar not always exported in the same order in the .dae file under Blender 2.49b.

I made lashes as 4 objects in 3 LODS. When I export my 4 objects for each LOD, I always select them in the same order (R Up, L Up, R Down and L Down). For two LODs, this works corretly (the 4 objects are exported in the same order) but this is not the case for the third LOD (the 4 objects are export in a different order).

As result, when importing into SL, my lashes are mixed for one LOD (the R Up takes the place of the R Down and vice versa).

Why is it so ? Is it not the selection order which is used for the export order ?

Please help...

We had a long thread about this some time ago, with experimental results. I can't find it (need a full text search). In think the exporter puts the geometries into the collada file in alphabetic order of object names, which is the order they appear in the outliner view. It puts nodes in the visual scene in the same order except that the active object (the last selected, brighter outline) comes first there. The order in the geometry (alphabetic) used to determine which mesh went with which in the different LODs, and the first one was always the root in the linkset. However, I have just tried a few experiments with the latest beta and, while the rule for the root prim is the same, it seems something else is now influencing the association of the meshes at different LODs. I spent a couple of unpleasant hours peering at the source code but didn't yet see where that decision was made. I will try some more, but meanwhile, you could try checking the names at the different LODs. You never know.

Thank you for your answer Drongle.(I did not see the previous post sorry...)

I do not think it is related with the names of the meshes because I first thought about this possibility and made some tests and they are not indicating it is the case.

Example: my 4 meshes were called:

• Lashes R Up 2, Lashes R Down 2, Lashes L Up 2 and Lashes L Down 2 for LOD 2
  • Lashes R Up 1, Lashes R Down 1, Lashes L Up 1 and Lashes L Down 1 for LOD 1

I selected them always in the same order but they were not exported into the same order into the two .dae files.

But I will continue my tests of this however...

I noticed something strange with the names of the exported meshes... They sometimes change between each export and I do not understand why (i.e. the meshes do not have always the same names in the .dae file). Did you notice that too ? Do you know why ?

I did some more experiments using Blender 2.49b and the latest beta viewer. The results were consistent with the following rules, although that is nowhere near sufficient to guarantee that it will always be the same. This is the same result obtained many viewer versions ago....

1. Meshes (<geometry>) appear in collada file in alphabetical order, as in the outline view.

2. Meshes in each LOD file are associated in different LODs according to their order in the collada file.

So provided they have the same alphabetical order in each LOD exported, they should be correctly associated. This can be done with a naming scheme such as...

Hi LOD: obj1h, obj2h, obj3h, ...; Med LOD obj1m, obj2m, obj3m, ...; etc......

Yes TY Drongle I do agree...

I also think that my meshes names are perhaps too long and are cut/modified automatically by Blender (wich could change their alphabetical order)...

I also think that the export order may be related to the meshes creation order in Blender.

I need to make more tests on these two assumptions...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.