Any chance of retractive searches, or search blocking?

Senjata Witt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it'd improve Marketplace searching immeasurably if we could search retractively, (ie; Boots, -black, which would return all boots which were NOT tagged with black,) and the ability to block or mute results from selected merchants or shops, to avoid having to page through extensive listings which are irrellevant, to avoid dealing with merchants we dislike, or who simply clog searches with pages and pages of items identical but for slight color variations.

Do others agree with the need for these features?

Does anyone see the possibility that they will be implemented some day?

That would be assuming that relevance is priority to the LL which as we have seen for many years, it really isn't.

However good this would seem there is one underlying problem in accomplishing this.  It would require that each merchant property tag each item and that each tag is consistent.

I don't see this possible but they have come a long way by creating more categories.

Given your example, you go to Apparel>Women>Footwear>Boots, then search Black within those results.  In essence you have what you need already.  If you get irrelevant results from that, it is because of the merchants who do not use accurate keywords which takes us back to why this is an issue.

Oh-  i wouldn't expect retractive search functions to be any more perfectly accurate than any OTHER search function ever is, because of poor or false tagging, but never the less, it'd save a load of time and trouble to be able to search for something that is, for example, a word with multiple meanings.  You would be able to search for Blade, NOT sword, or promo, NOT demo, or to remove most mesh results, since most of those are tagged as Mesh now.  Much as I'd love to see this feature, the other - the ability to remove particular shops or merchants' results from a search would be much more valuable. I love to browse lots of results, but nothing is more of a turn off than nine pages of identical t-shirts in 400 colors, and likewise, it's fruistrating when you've already gone through a particular merchant's whole collection and you know they don't carry what you need, to not be able to simply remove that shop from your search.

you also say "Given your example, you go to Apparel>Women>Footwear>Boots, then search Black within those results.  In essence you have what you need already..."  Not so. I would be able to do that if I WANT black boots- but not if I DON'T want black boots. If what I'm looking for is any color that ISN'T black.  Also, you mis-tagged the header of the post- my comment/suggestion isn't about irrelevant results or tags. it's about IMPROVING the relevance of a search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.