Multiple Viewers - Stuck at "Logging in..."

Singer Carolina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone, been having this problem for months. Now with all the new Mesh stuff out, I REALLY want to solve this problem! Here goes:

On any newer viewer - Second Life Viewer 2 or 3, Firestorm, Phoenix, and so on - whenever I try to login, I get stuck at the "Logging in..." message and the app just hangs there, never going any further. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing caches, all to no avail.

The only viewer I have SUCCESSFULLY been able to run is Firestorm Beta v2.5.2.16922. Anything more advanced and I get stuck at the same spot and I'm done for.

I'm running a Macbook Pro, version 10.6.8. 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory. Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. Plenty of hard drive space.

If anyone has any advice, links, steps to follow or anything else, I'd very much appreciate it.

<3 Singer

===

Thx Peggy - I've tried lowering everything to the minimum, and am always on a wired connection, so I have to assume the graphics card is the issue here. Thx for the feedback!

2 answers to this question

The nVidia GT 330M is, at least, part of the problem.  It's not at the bottom of the performance heap for the 300 series of nVidia cards but it is closer to the bottom that it is to the top.  A GT 310M would be the bottom, a GT350M would be mid-range, and a GTX 390M would be the top.  It's entirely possible that your card is struggling without mesh and the addition of mesh is enough to push it over the edge.  I have a GTS 250 card (which is more powerful than your GT 330M) and I can run mesh.....but my FPS suffer quite a bit.  I can't run shadows very well either..........my card is just not powerful enough and if I try to run at ultra I drop to 10 FPS or lower. 

Try lowering your graphics in Preferences before you log in.  Start at the minimum and slowly (a few features at a time) raise the levels until you get a happy compromise.  Or investigate getting a better performing card......for nVidia look for the second number in the model number of 5 or greater.  Also if you are connectinng to the Internet with a wireless connnect, that is compounding your problem.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.