Mac Viewer totally messed up - can I fix it?

tigersoul925

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've played around for a few days with the PC version of SL. While it isn't exactly a gem and sometimes crash it still works... so I downloaded the mac version since mac is where I usually roam... Things were... different you could say!

Logging in takes forever, I get stuck at "region capabilities, attempt 2,3,4" for a long time. Finally the region loads and things seems to work... Until you check the friendslist and every item says (loading) or until you teleport and you never get there... This is on an iMac 2011 27" the biggest model with i7 addon w Lion 10.7.2 works equally crappy on a macbook pro. I'm on wlan at the macbook but on gigabit lan at the Imac.

What's up here?

I run on an i5 iMac and it scoots right along at about 80-90 fps, so I don't think the problem is with the Mac. It could be you need to open some ports in your router. Here's info:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Configuring_your_hardware_firewall

Another thing you can do is open the statistics window while you're logged in, that can tell you if you are dropping packets or where the blockage is.Type Control-Shift-1 to see it.

What you're describing sounds more like a communications issue than a viewer or OS problem. I've heard complaints recently that the SL servers aren't being very responsive, and you may just have hit on one of those days while you were running on your Mac.

The PC and the Mac is on the same network with the same router end, so there's no difference there. Also when it didn't work on the Mac it worked fine on the PC, so I doubt it's a server issue either. Also the behavior is ALWAYS the same on the Mac, there are no differences in lag, wait etc. I don't think the hardware is the limit either, not even on the macbook pro 13, it's something else about the connectivity to the SL servers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.