llGetPos(), the editor and sculpties

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making something that involves switching round some sculptmaps, and I've discovered that one transformation between two similar sculptmaps is proving problematic because, while the prim's position and rotation aren't affected, the the main vertical axis is apparently different in the two maps, so when I change the maps, the prim in question jumps about 0.1 metres to the left.  

I've also noticed, during testing, that then I place two prims with the different maps in the same position, while the position spinners in the edit window don't change when I switch between the two prims, the arrows I see in my viewer do move to match what I'm seeing.

I'm guessing I can't read this by script, since presumably the arrows in the viewer are showing me what I can see locally (I would be so pleased to be mistaken about this) but is there any way I can readily quantify the difference my viewer is seeing?  It would be such a help in correcting for the difference if I could do that rather than fiddle about with the numbers using trial and error.

the drag handles should be responding to gometric center, so checking that for both maps might give you the offset between them (and actually make the function useful for the first time ever).

the problem is likely cause by close fitting / centering of the original sculptmap, rather than placing an arbitrary center and boundary (which is pretty much required for matching across morphs)... it's something that has to be done during it's creation outside SL

if you can export it, you can shift a specific map along it's axis by changing the color channel values for all pixels, assuming the full range is not in use (otherwise you'll end up flatening on the direction you are moving towards). if the full range IS in use for that axis/color you would have to compress that channel value for all the sculpts before attempting a shift in the one that's off centered.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.