Object uploaded fine 2 month ago, now fails

Mikki Miles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried to upload a model, that I uploaded succesfully 2 month ago, but now the uploader complains about "Material of model is not a subset of reference model"

I checked the different LoDs, all have the same materials. Might this be related to #1 of last meeting ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Archive/2011-10-24 ), and how is to deal with that?

I actually ran into that error last night while using the latest development viewer. In my case, it didn't like that my material groups didn't have the same order. In Blender, I looked in the Outliner and saw that the high LOD had the materials: trim, petticoat, robe, stomacher, chemise, trim2. However, my medium LOD had the same material names in a different order: trim2, stomacher, petticoat, trim, robe, chemise. Once I went and changed the order in the medium LOD to match the order in the high LOD, I exported the file again. Then, I could upload the models in SL without a problem. 

I guess you are using the project mesh viewer, as the release viewer dopes not give the error message? Basically it means what it says. However, what it actually looks at is the "material" attribute of the <triangles> tag in the collada file. This links indirectly to the actual material. It is possible to have different "material" attributes linking to the same material. If you reassign all the materials in the Link and Pipelines panel (2.49 ?? in 2.5), you can repair that as well as making sure the subset requirement is met - every material in a lower LOD must be the same as one in the high LOD. They shouldn't all have to be there and they shouldn't have to be in the same order because the validation function re-orders them. (In the release viewer, the condition also applied to the physics mesh, and there was no error message!). More details in this thread and this jira.

in Blender all materials for all LODs are in the same order, but not in the DAE-files

In older viewers, the only requirement was that all LOD meshes had to have the same number of materials. It didn't matter what they were. The faces for each were assigned according to the order of the <triangles> tags in the collada file. The order of the <material> tags was irrelevant. Now, the order should be irrelevant and the lower LODs can have a sunset of the high LOD materials. That change was made to overcome the ordering problem. The price is that the material attributes must natch ones in the high LOD geometry.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.