Transparency & Alpha Textures... with Viewer 3.0 is there any new tricks now?

WADE1 Jya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey its hard to keep up on all changes.... I'm thinking I missed something perhaps. Did anything change or update with transparency in viewer 3.0?

What transparency formats can be accepted now? Targa, etc...

Is there an optimal way to make transparent objects, like cutout edge alphas etc? Prefer something new without the alpha sorting issues....

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Allowed formats have not changed. PNG and TGA still work.

There is a little bit of change, but only if you use the new lighting system that come with shadows. If you have it turned on SL uses a new alpha sorting system previously availible as "Fast Alpha" in the old debug settings. It has cleaned up a lot of sorting issues but not all, and added some issues on things that did not have them before. I think overall it is an improvement.

Can't completely get around the alpha sorting issues :P It's not an SL problem, it's just in other games developers work very carefully to avoid it.

Alpha is sorted _mostly_ based on the center of objects. If the center of an object is closer to your camera then another it should be shown in front, unfortunately that doesn't always mean it should be in front :P. Avoid cases where this would produce false results and you should be fine.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.