Fashion machinima

Tikaf Viper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An interesting thing about this fashion event is that no one has, as yet, mentioned fashion films in Second Life. 

Just like in RL, fashion pictures are great, no doubt, but who never had this "oh oh will that fit me as beautifully as on this gorgeous model?" feeling before buying an outfit?

Why is that so? Well, just like in RL, heavy treatment of the picture on photoshop or other software distorts the perception we have.

Now I don't mean to speak evil about photographers of course. Being in the fashion film business myself, I just work hand in hand with photographers, and I can assure I do find their work amazing.

I just think that a fashion show machinima provides an added value to designers, different from photography which has been the rule, and only way to publicize one's creations so far.

I do believe that fashion films are the only way one can see how your "maybe future outfit" will look in-world, and that is what one wants, right?

As I said, I'm in the fashion filming business so of course my opinion is quite biased.

Still, I'm happy to have been able to talk about this subject, and am quite curious about your reactions ...

Tikaf Viper

I like the idea of a machinima-based fashion blog oddly, but the answer as to qhy pictures are more popular is definitely that they take a fraction of the time. Some designers do machinima every now and then to advertise. Epoque's "The Convulsion" is a good recent example, but back in the day Nylon Pinkney and the Tableau/PC folks did it too.

Good question.

Machinima, being fashion or not, might take many forms and shapes, but I think it must differentiate from filming photographies, even if the Ken Burns effect is interesting. And this, just like the first RL filmmakers who were photographers for most of them at the start.

Filming a show "as is" is one thing. and I don't pretend to be original there, I'm just trying to refine this kind of shooting for my part.

Now the best thing I have seen so far is not traditional catwalk shooting actually. It is from Otaki Kamachi filming Fellini's designs, and here's the link:

http://vimeo.com/20180832

I'd say that another way to look at traditional fashion films, but the way is open indeed ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.