How would I fix my voice chat?

Matti Deigan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I've been using SL for quite some time (I think i hit my fifth year at the start of this month). Around half a year ago, my voice stopped working. At the time I had no use for it, working mainly on build projects and generally not being very active. A couple of months I've returned to activity, and started to be more active with specific circles.

Recently, I purchased a microphone to do some video tutorials (mainly regarding mesh and blender, as well as general tutorials in Finnish as backup for lecturing a couple of classes in SL use in the future): But at the same time I also wanted to use it in voice chat and become more active in SL again. However I hit a brickwall:

SLVoice.exe fails to connect to the vivox servers.

Heres the checklist of Things I've ALREADY done. 

• Checked my firewall ports, (both router and windows firewall rules)
  • End tasked SLVoice.exe and restarted it in the Preferences.
  • Cache cleared
  • Opened up all my firewall ports to test
  • Reinstalled clients

Yet every single time, I get the message that it cannot connect to the vivox servers:

"We're having trouble connecitng to your voice server:

https://www.bhr.vivox.com/api2/ :UDP: 3478, 3479, 5060, 5062, 12000-17000

Voice communications will not be available.

Please check your network and firewall setup."

Infact, trying that link (just as an experiment) will give me an error that the server is taking too long to respond. I'm suspecting an issue with my ISP, however It used to work months ago, and generally the ISPs here in Finland do not tend to do such tricks.

Only thing I've yet to do is reformating, however I do not belive that would fix this issue. (Althought I'm planning to do some fall cleaning soon :) )

Tried with Firestorm, and SL 3.0 and on Phoenix.

*Edit*

Because this is a problem thats occuring with the SLVoice.exe, which is apart of the main viewer and not edited in anyway for TPVs, I'm asking here. (SL3.0 is my main as well, due to the mesh support).

And Yes, I have checked those links and they provide no help what so ever.

*Edit* 13:00

Apparently, after doing more tests, I have come to the conclusion that there is something blocking my connection to the vivox servers. The servers them selves are not responding to my pings (timing out), however after asking a friend to do so, they managed to get a ping through. Will investigate further and then perhaps edit this post again and close it.

*Edit* 13:30

After running a diagnostic route trace and a packet sniff I found out that this is a big technical issue: I will be submitting a troubleshooting ticket for this instead as this cannot be solved through another means. It appears as if my connection is cut off a hop before it reaches the Vivox server.

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

The same is happening to me.

After two weeks working perfectly... Suddenly, my voice disappeared, and coudnt connect to Vivox...

I did everything and more: reloged, restarted, reseted cache, restaured the system, changed the client, checked firewalls, turned off all firewalls!!!!!!

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?!?!?!?

i to tried evrything and nothing works its def not my computer as its brand new tried all dif servers but no luck and the website to klick on dont work eigther if sent a ticked in as well as it use to work fine before i sl is gone fix this problem fast.

if not they should douwn grade sl to where it whas .

yes those are all checkt over and over and gething nowhere but ty anyway .

actually this is what i got back from LL support :

Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately, if the basic troubleshooting steps aren't resolving the issue, it is going to be server related as you previously mentioned and it's not something we can address at this level. The reason for this is, our voice servers are handled by Viox, you may need to contact them, because it's their servers

so now we have to solve this ourselves... very disappointing!

This has been happeneing to me for months.  I relogged about 3-4 tims until my voice connects.  They changed something and I do not know what it was.  One month working fine, the next problems.  That SL link is not good for users that been voicing for 6 years.  There is something wrong with the vivox, said maybe my firewall, turned it off. to no avail.  This really needs to be addressed, people are asking for skype as they can talk trhough it instead of voice in SL. What's the point if voice is all of a sudden crap.  

It really needs addressing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.