HELP! Which 3D program is suited best for Jewelry design?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!   

This is my first post ever and i also am completely new to this whole 3D design makings.  How ever i made a first attempt to build in-world, in which i created a ring.  Now i have been researching online about various 3D programs that are *free*  to use.  I have come across ZBrush and i am wondering if i should download Zbrush instead of Blender?  I understand that Zbrush is mainly used to texture the model/object which sounds perfect for jewlery making.  But, again, i am unsure since i lack expeirence of knowledge with these programs.

So my question is for you guys, which 3D programs is preferbly  recomended to create Jewelry?

Thank Youuuu for taking your time and replying to my question! :matte-motes-big-grin:

The best application is the one you are most comfortable using. zBrush is excellent for texturing and people often overlook it's mesh building tools, but it is not free, priced at around $700 usd. Blender 2.49 is challenging because of an unintuitive interface, but from all accounts, blender 2,5 is a vast improvement in the interface arena. If I were just starting out, blender 2.5 is where I would start. Its a powerful tool, and then price is right. You can assign materials and I believe there is also a texture paint option, don't buy a package until you get serious about it :). There is an extensive blender 2.5 tutorial series on the YouTube channel cannedmushrooms to get you started.

If you are still looking for a "clay" type modeler that is free, pixologic has an application available called sculptris which should also work.

eta: if I were making jewelry, blenders box or poly modeling method would be perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!    THANK YOU!!   :matte-motes-big-grin:  

I totally have the tabs opened of CannedMushroom youtube channel and Sculptris!!  :D 

I also want to know if, Blender 2.5 has plug-ins?   :)  

WOOOWW I AM FAR OUT IMPRESSED BY  Sculptris!!   THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!  

Blender has scripts that you can download, both from their website and from various Blender enthusiasts.  A large number comes included in the build you download.  I believe I've even seen a script that adds gemshapes to the list of primitive meshes, but I'm not totally certain of that.  I'll check it out and repost if I find it.

Zbrush is fantastic, but it's not free.  There's a 30 day trial, but good luck trying to get up to speed with all its features in 30 days!  Its merely a tease.  Well worth the purchase price, however.  And  Zbrush Central has a terrific forum and the folks are really helpful.  Many are industry professionals and artists; their work is breathtaking.

Since you are interested in jewelry, take a look at this:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=135212

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.