Comic-Con in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The problem there is that virtually all the cosplay outfits, merchandise, and other fan-fun stuff that is common at a comic convention is illegal in SL, because it involves violating the copyrights of the creators of the comic characters that you're trying to dress up as. (The fact that there is a lot of "dress up like my favorite character" activity in SL doesn't change the LL policy that those avatars are copyright violations.

In real life, comic book companies tend to turn a blind eye to fans that make their own costumes and dress up as comic characters for special events like comic cons. By definition, those costumes tend to be one-of-a-kind efforts, often only worn to attend that one convention, and they won't have much impact on the creative rights of the comic character creators. I've attended real-life cons myself in the past, and had a blast dressing up and enjoying the event. (I still have a few old costumes tucked away in the back of my closet, though I haven't gone to a con in many years.)

But to make an avatar or sellable merchandise in SL that looks like a comic book character or is related to copyrighted works is an activity that, by definition, creates something that could be infinitely copied and distributed, world-wide, in an instant. That is potentially far more harmful to the copyright holders, and is something they are far more likely to create lawsuits over.

Even if Linden Lab said it was okay, an organized comic con event in SL would be shining a spotlight on activities and individuals that the copyright holders would want to target for legal action. So, sadly for us fans, it isn't a good idea in SL.

in general fan made items that are non commercial AND personal use will never be touched because the odds of the copyright holder beating a fair use defense are astronomical.(supportive commentary purpose, single character likeness rather than entire work, exposure enhances rather than detracts from the market, domain would be the only factor even slightly in the copyright holders favor in SL, in RL costuming there wouldn't be a prayer)

that said people making those available to others (even freely) are taking a huge risk, and there is still a small risk even if they aren't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.