SL Marketplace Enhancer - browser extension

I have been using userscripts to display marketplace tags and item listing dates for a long time but wanted a little bit more flexibility, especially in terms of deciding where to display additional information.

I ended up making a small browser extension for myself and figured it could benefit other people than just myself, so I have decided to publish it for the Firefox, Chrome and Edge browsers (although if you have any chromium-based browser, you can install it from the chrome web store as well)

So far, I have added a couple of fundamental features:

• Added tags and listing date to product pages.
  • Added listing dates for items appearing in search results, category browsing and on store pages.
  • Added an option to hide featured items containers (disabled by default).

Every option can either be enabled or disabled independently from each other from the extension settings (just click the icon for it to pop up).

Privacy comes first for me, and honestly, I have no reason or desire to know anything about the users, so nothing is collected or sent anywhere. The extension does store your settings in your local browser storage, but that is and will ever only be used for saving and applying your settings.

Last but definitely not least, I have made the extension fully open source under MIT, so if you want to have a look at the code or package it yourself, you can just head over to the github repo (pull requests are always welcome too!)

You can find the extension on the Chrome Web Store, Firefox Add-ons page, and the Edge Add-ons page.

For additional install instructions and an always updated changelog history, you can either check out my blog page, or the github repo

Suggestions, bug reports and anything in-between is always welcome and appreciated!

Edited by Tjay Wicken
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

This is super neat! thank you. I have been using userscripts to do this as well, an extension is much neater though.

One thing for Firefox users: it is necessary to use the "Pin to toolbar" option to access the extension's options screen, I can't seem to access it from the Add-ons manager screen, needed to do this to enable the option to hide featured items.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

This is super neat! thank you. I have been using userscripts to do this as well, an extension is much neater though.

One thing for Firefox users: it is necessary to use the "Pin to toolbar" option to access the extension's options screen, I can't seem to access it from the Add-ons manager screen, needed to do this to enable the option to hide featured items.

Thanks, I did not think of that!
I believe in Chrome based browsers it is no longer possible to pin by default, but it looks like it still is for Firefox.

I will test, and if possible, include that specifically for Firefox in the next update. For Chromium based browsers we can perhaps show a small "getting started" window after the extension gets installed the first time and show how to pin the extension.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tjay Wicken said:

Thanks, I did not think of that!
I believe in Chrome based browsers it is no longer possible to pin by default, but it looks like it still is for Firefox.

I will test, and if possible, include that specifically for Firefox in the next update. For Chromium based browsers we can perhaps show a small "getting started" window after the extension gets installed the first time and show how to pin the extension.

I really don't know how it works exactly but some extensions I use let me access their options by a slightly awkward method of clicking the dots in the Add-ons manager screen and selecting 'Options', the pop up appears to be the same as you get when you have something pinned to the toolbar, some extensions open an entirely new tab with an options screen though. Yours doesn't appear to do that though, clicking the dots doesn't give any 'Options' menu item available like when it is pinned to toolbar.

Couple of example images of what I mean attached

firefox_extension_option_dots_nooptions.png

firefox_extension_option_dots_options.png

Edited by AmeliaJ08

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I really don't know how it works exactly but some extensions I use let me access their options by a slightly awkward method of clicking the dots in the Add-ons manager screen and selecting 'Options', the pop up appears to be the same as you get when you have something pinned to the toolbar. Yours doesn't appear to do that though, clicking the dots doesn't open the options screen available when it is pinned to toolbar.

Couple of example images of what I mean attached

firefox_extension_option_dots_nooptions.png

firefox_extension_option_dots_options.png

In my initial test I did have a separate settings page as well, but ended up removing it as I figured the popup would be suffecient.

I will reintroduce that in the next update as well, it would just take a few minutes to pull back in. Several ways of being able to reach the options is not necessarily a bad thing in this case as I wouldn't want people to somehow not be able to find the options.

I will give the options a small overhaul later today and do some initial testing.

Edit: and thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Tjay Wicken
  • Like 1

Would be super cool to add the ability to remember default search preferences for things like "Do not show limited quantities, demos", etc. Right now that always resets when you make a new search.

Great job though, awesome extension.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Would be super cool to add the ability to remember default search preferences for things like "Do not show limited quantities, demos", etc. Right now that always resets when you make a new search.

Great job though, awesome extension.

That sounds like a really great idea. I will look into this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@AmeliaJ08 @Flea Yatsenko

I have now submitted version 1.0.4 to the Chrome, Edge and Firefox extension stores.
Firefox appears to already be live, however Chrome usually takes a day or two, and Edge takes up towards a week before the update passes through validation.

I have added initial support for advanced search filters. I tried a few different approaches, and I believe the current implementation works pretty well. If enabled, it should apply to all searches and when browsing categories persistently with the exception of store pages, since I believe that is the one place where it is still nice to be able to browse the categories without filtering being applied. I can perhaps add a toggle for that in a future version.

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions!

image.png.2346e94be96eb2189e63d2460405ce8e.png

Version 1.0.4 - August 7, 2024
4----------------
5🚀 New Features
7- Added a new set of options for advanced search filters which are applied across all search and category links on the marketplace.
9 Enhancements
11- Complete overhaul of the settings popup. Settings are now categorized in tabs for a better overview.
12- The extension settings can now be accessed through the extension contextual menu inside "Manage extensions".
13- For Firefox, the extension is now automatically pinned for all new installations.
Edited by Tjay Wicken
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Tjay Wicken said:

@AmeliaJ08 @Flea Yatsenko

I have now submitted version 1.0.4 to the Chrome, Edge and Firefox extension stores.
Firefox appears to already be live, however Chrome usually takes a day or two, and Edge takes up towards a week before the update passes through validation.

I have added initial support for advanced search filters. I tried a few different approaches, and I believe the current implementation works pretty well. If enabled, it should apply to all searches and when browsing categories persistently with the exception of store pages, since I believe that is the one place where it is still nice to be able to browse the categories without filtering being applied. I can perhaps add a toggle for that in a future version.

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions!

image.png.2346e94be96eb2189e63d2460405ce8e.png

Version 1.0.4 - August 7, 2024
4----------------
5🚀 New Features
7- Added a new set of options for advanced search filters which are applied across all search and category links on the marketplace.
9 Enhancements
11- Complete overhaul of the settings popup. Settings are now categorized in tabs for a better overview.
12- The extension settings can now be accessed through the extension contextual menu inside "Manage extensions".
13- For Firefox, the extension is now automatically pinned for all new installations.

Oh gosh thank you! I'll go test it now

Oooh fancy, I like it! And it all seems to work perfectly

Edited by AmeliaJ08

I just thought of another feature hehe... how about being able to set the default sort behaviour? it always flicks back to Relevance for me but I basically always want it to be Age: Newest First

Sorry if we're making work for you :P

1 minute ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I just thought of another feature hehe... how about being able to set the default sort behaviour? it always flicks back to Relevance for me but I basically always want it to be Age: Newest First

Sorry if we're making work for you :P

That feature nearly made it this release!

I need to do a little bit more testing as I saw some strange behavior when testing it, so I moved it out of this release. Should be there in the next update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

It looks like Linden Lab has made some changes to the search filters on the marketplace.

Specifically, they have renamed the "Do not show" parameters and as a result you will now see an error message if you attempt to search if you have enabled either "limited quantities" or "demo items" under advanced search filters in the extension settings.

I'll release a hotfix tomorrow to address these changes.

image.png.25bea430474c264765bb7a8dcba63490.png

Edit: Version 1.0.5 which addresses these changes has been submitted to the extension stores. As always, the updated version is likely available for Firefox in the next half hour or so, while Chrome takes about a day and Edge up to a week for reviews to take place.

Edited by Tjay Wicken
Submitted new version to extension stores.
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Version 1.0.6 has been submitted to the extension stores. Full changelog can be found on github

This is just a minor hotfix as Linden Lab made some changes to the product pages on the marketplace yesterday causing the posting date and tags no longer being injected as they have modified and given new names to div containers.

Since they also added some additional width constraints to the layout, the extension is now also applying the same to avoid overflowing outside the main container.

The update for Firefox should be available in the next few minutes, Chrome within a day or so and Edge within a week.

Edit: As of this evening, LL renamed some of the div elements again. I will continuously push out updates as I notice any breaking changes, but won't update this thread unless there's a significant update. The github repo will always be updated with these minor hotfixes as they happen.

Edited by Tjay Wicken
  • Thanks 2