Back with a noob question about weight painting... :)

mnp2357

Hello, mesh forum friends! Long time no silly ask!

Anyway, I have improved my mesh skills a lot over the last little while and have taken on the headache-inducing, ambitious plot of making shoes. Before I went to the trouble of smoothing/detailing and texturing, however, I wanted to make sure I could rig/weight paint my fancy heel... : D

As you can probably guess, I have failed!!

The problem is simple (?): I have managed to weight paint MOST of the shoe with the goal of having it move and resize with the foot, but for whatever reason, when it comes to the heel of the shoe, it refuses to play ball. I have verified the objects are joined into one mesh and have also made sure I have all vertices selected before weight painting, but no matter how extreme I get with the settings, the heel and the very top of the shoe REFUSE to be weight painted.

Help???

blender_CCZvr9wLSr.png.4e088876fa89e74f8231d6dfa3d92b03.png

It could be a lot of things, sadly.

Are any vertex groups locked?

For these, check under your Tool panel in weight paint mode.

Under Brush Settings, is your blend mode "mix"?

Does toggling "Front Faces Only" under "Advanced" help?

Does picking the square setting under "Falloff" help?

Under "Options": is Auto Normalize on? Is Restrict on?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

It could be a lot of things, sadly.

Are any vertex groups locked?

For these, check under your Tool panel in weight paint mode.

Under Brush Settings, is your blend mode "mix"?

Does toggling "Front Faces Only" under "Advanced" help?

Does picking the square setting under "Falloff" help?

Under "Options": is Auto Normalize on? Is Restrict on?

No one can ever know that making stripper heels in Second Life is what finally got me to download a second version of Blender onto my computer lol.

Anyway, literally just using the latest version appears to have solved my problem (if you're curious, I was until now using an old version because that's the compatible version with Sims4Studio lol). My guess, after a little poking about, is that it had to do with some of the vertices being "inside" other parts of the object, which is solved by the front faces only option toggle. Thank you!