Unable to open second life on Mac, please help

bcastro04

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and tried downloading second life yesterday and haven't been able to open it. When I click the application it says "Second Life quit unexpectedly" and won't even let me get past the login page. I've looked on so many different forums and haven't been able to find a solution, please help!

• Lindens
On 1/10/2024 at 2:22 PM, bcastro04 said:

I have macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and tried downloading second life yesterday and haven't been able to open it. When I click the application it says "Second Life quit unexpectedly" and won't even let me get past the login page. I've looked on so many different forums and haven't been able to find a solution, please help!

Hello bcastro04, we have just today announced the requirement of MacOS 11 as the minimum to run Second Life. There is however an older version of the Second Life viewer you may still use. Details in the following blog post. 

On 1/19/2024 at 11:13 PM, Kyle Linden said:

Hello bcastro04, we have just today announced the requirement of MacOS 11 as the minimum to run Second Life. There is however an older version of the Second Life viewer you may still use. Details in the following blog post. 

Info.plist in  "Second Life Viewer.app/Contents/" says otherwise. The minimum system version is marked as

<key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>
    <string>10.13</string>

The info in the Info.plist is what tells macOS what the minimum system requirement is. If the macOS version is lower than the minimum requirement, Finder will show a special icon across the app icon that it is incompatible, and will not even attempt to launch the app. 

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/information_property_list/lsminimumsystemversion?language=objc

Edited by Gavin Hird
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

Gavin, is there a reason why you have remained on MacOS 10? Mac OS is now up to 14.1.x. Even if you have an Intel Mac the documentation says that if it's from 2017 or later, it can run Somona (Mac OS 13).

What?

Do you mean macOS 10 in the documentation. If that is what you mean, LSMinimumSystemVersion is supported from macOS 10 till this day.

I run systems from macOS Catalina through to Sonoma to test my viewer builds, so not sure what you mean. Minimum system requirement for my viewer is 10.15 (Catalina)

• Lindens
On 1/22/2024 at 2:51 PM, Gavin Hird said:

Info.plist in  "Second Life Viewer.app/Contents/" says otherwise. The minimum system version is marked as

<key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>
    <string>10.13</string>

Thanks! We've filed a bug to get this fixed.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.