How to import an animated keyframed object in Blender into SL?

Submissa69

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I created a keyframed animated object (a water droplet) in Blender that moves and changes scale as it "moves" - simple enough.

But when I tried to export it as a .dae to then be imported into Second Life, only one of the keyframes was imported.  Namely, it was one of the droplet objects, but not animated.

When selecting options for the Exported Object, I believe the Animated checkbox was checked, but is there something else that I need to do as well?

Do I need to hi-lite all of the keyframes I used to make the animation?  Do I need to select keyframes 1-36 (for example)?   

Much appreciated any guidance,

Missa Sprout

You are going to have a rough time getting this to work in SL like it does in your modeling program.

1. SL animated mesh objects can't have custom armatures. You have to use the standard avatar armature and repurpose existing bones.

2. You can't import animations as part of the Collada DAE file. You have to export & import them separately, either in .bvh or .anim format. .bvh may require using fussy tricks to get the axis order right. .anim will require a paid third-party addon because it's a proprietary Linden Lab format that vanilla Blender doesn't support.

2.a. You'll also have to mark the object as Animesh in-world, install your animation, and write a script to play it. (Animesh objects have a minimum Land Impact of 15, by the way.)

3. SL animations generally can't scale bones.

4. SL doesn't support shape keys or shape key animations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.