Rigging working in Blender 2.5

Tapple Gao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I submitted a patch to blender and a bug report to secondlife that, together, should get meshes rigged in blender 2.5 working. If you are not afraid of patching the blender source code and compiling your own blender, you can upload rigged meshes direct from blender 2.5 using this fix + SL bug workaround patch: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/498/27598/16835/collada-bone-rot-issue-27598-1.patch

More details here: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=27598&group_id=9&atid=498

• Like 5

Hi,

Things I have found so far with this patch::

1. You only need Vertex deformations ....turn off Bone Envelopes in the Armature modifier

1. You must apply the modifier before Collada Export as the current exporter only exports the base object

2. Make sure that the object you are rigging is parented to the avatar Armature not the Object otherwise the rigging will not work.

3. You have to make a weight entry for all vertices even if its 0. Otherwise vertices/faces will not show up.  Weight your object to the mPelvis completely before you start weighting other joints to get all the vertices lined up for export.

There is likely is a better way to do this in blender 2.58 but this is only way I can get anything to export in a resonsble fashion.   Still having problems with complex objects being rigged and able to be uploaded to SL. The preview window works and shows the object in its correct position but fails silently to upload. After this happens trying to quit SL fails and it locks up.

Reporting back on my issue with the patch:

After re-installing the patch today and having the same issue with uploads, I fiddled about in a differing program to try and see what the issue was. It turns out that it would only upload if I changed the name of the armature to "avatar". Why... I have no idea. But, the model uploaded fine after I made the name change.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.