Is there such a script that allows you to rez an object while doing a typing animation>?

Magnus McGettigan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A friend and I are messing around with making our own typing animations. We found this really fun wand animation full perm. We want to try to use a full perm wand inside the type prim to pop up when you type and go away when done.. Is that possible? If so Any ideas who makes or sells these scripts or what they are called? 

Thanks in advance for any leads. 

Magnus.

Yes this is quite possible to do. The basic premise is that your animating script is constantly checking the state of the avatar to see if they are currently trying or not. If they are typing (and previously weren't), start playing the new typing animation. If they aren't typing (and previously were), then stop the new typing animation. It would be in this area of code that you could add additional logic to control the visibility of any related objects, like your wand: making it visible when the animation starts, and invisible when the animation stops.

I don't know the full details of your use case, but I'm assuming the wand would be a worn attachment. It simplifies things to already have the attachment on and just make it visible or invisible on command, rather than trying to rez a separate object in-world. This mainly because at any given time you may be over land that doesn't allow you to rez objects, or the parcel may be full.

If that's the case, you could place the animation and the script inside the wand (since they're closely related anyway). You could make use of llSetLinkAlpha to target the entire linkset of the wand and toggle its alpha state as needed. If the wand is more complex and has additional links whose visibility you don't want to mess with in this way, you can more selectively target parts of the linkset with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast and the PRIM_LINK_TARGET and PRIM_COLOR parameters.

If the wand isn't an attachment, or must be separate from the attachment that is controlling the animation override, then instead of directly controlling the alpha, you would need to set up a communication protocol, sending out chat commands that the wand would listen for to then turn itself visible or invisible as needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Basically, we're trying to do the same thing a store made with rezzing puppets while typing, but we want to rez a wand or say a book while typing and playing a sound or particle. I'll show an example .. https://gyazo.com/de5db3c736dee2459bdf223586d6927f I would love to create this sort of typer. One that does animation and sound but will generate this particle effect while typing. Sadly I have zero script knowledge and am not sure where to even go in the world to look or maybe builders brewery? 

Edited by Magnus McGettigan

The principle is the same: check the status of the avatar, if typing, activate desired effect(s). If not typing, stop desired effect(s). Said effects can be whatever you want: making an attachment visible, playing a sound, playing particles, or speaking chat messages to act as triggers for external listening objects. And yes, you can even rez objects this way... however given the examples you've stated, and the fact that this is intended to be a typing trigger, I really do think you don't want to actually rez objects in this manner. If the effect is supposed to move with the avatar in question (like the wand appearing in their hand), then it really makes more sense to have the effect be an attachment worn on the avatar that you make visible when triggered.

If you are interested in learning how to script this yourself, I would recommend perusing the tutorials on the LSL wiki. There are several that are aimed at those who have zero programming experience, so they would be a decent place to start.

A Basic LSL Tutorial
LSL 101

And you can ask additional questions here that arise as you learn. We'll be happy to offer advice/clarity/etc.

• Like 1

IF( you want to create it yourself){
    you have to learn LSL;

Builders Brewery can help you with that;

They have courses and as others said: try the sl wki and its LSL Portal.

}ELSE{
     Post a commission request in the inworld employment section of this forum
}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.