I made a ChatGPT powered NPC-like chatbot in SecondLife!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One time it told me it could not access the (Youtube) URL I gave it and it gave me the source URL that it needed in order to see it and then after I pasted in the URL that it gave me it was able to read then talk about it. I found that intriguing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, Istelathis said:

Hopefully AI never reaches a point of sentience.  I do not say that out of fear of what it will do to us, but I would rather see it used as a tool to expand the capacity of human potential than to become a self aware slave of us.  Sentience requires emotion though, the capacity to experience emotions is an integral process of sentience.  ChatGPT is about as self aware and emotional as a toaster is, and will likely remain that way until humanity actually understands how awareness works, be it chemical reactions, a fundamental force of nature inherent in the universe such as gravity,  perhaps even spiritual in nature, or maybe something else.  It still very much remains a mystery,  and unlikely to arise out of the way we currently create AI and will not be created until we are able to build a machine specifically to harness it.  Until such a time, a common rat remains sentient, while any machine we have created remains unaware of its own existence as it lacks the capacity of basic emotions.  

One recent article I found interesting is on NPR

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/28/1166541020/why-scientists-just-mapped-every-synapse-in-a-fly-brain

We are still very much behind when it comes to understanding how our own brains work, and it will likely remain that way for a long time to come.  For now AI such as ChatGPT is a pattern recognition machine, that is still very much honed by teams of humans to correct the patterns it finds.  

As far as a general chatbot, that seems to have more personality and makes for a fair conversationalist for very superficial conversations, I find Replika to be superior as it has been designed to be a chatbot for such use and it tends to mirror your own personality.  

Based on synapse counts and sweep rates for network optimization I estimate we are only a few years away from having GPT systems that match the information processing capacity of a human brain (see How Powerful Is the Human Brain Relative to GPT AI? ).  Training the network will be a major challenge but I think we can expect real thinking from these things before the end of the 2020s, perhaps sooner.  An interesting aspect of this is the energy consumption - one A100 GPU running full blast eats 300 W - and to load a network comparable to a human mind will require at least 100 of them running at once - you can do the math on the energy use and cost (1 kWh is about USD$0.25). I'm sure the chip companies are working on next gen devices that scale up the A100 at least 10x.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:27 AM, hypolito said:

Thanks for the comment on my gadget (Second Life Marketplace - ChatGPT ConvoBot - ready-to-go bot interface for superb AI conversation! Now with Nanite Vox and unicode support!)!  All the UTF encoding challenges in my early versions are now dealt with (the OpenAI use of UTF-8 encoding was not what it should be) and now it generates nice cyrillic, mandarin, or whatever.  If you want to experience even more powerful GPT-AI interfaces check out my blog for guidance and some useful bits of code.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.