"Freeplay" Game of skill in Second Life and their uses

Sorina Garrigus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Skill games as it relates to Second Life pretty much refers to games in which you pay to play a game with an opportunity to win. Most people think about solo skill games primarily, but this also includes multiplayer games as well. The changes that occurred to skill game policies a number of years ago I will just say is understandable. However, I do hope at some point in the future games that are without question skill based such as a chess tournament might in time qualify for an exemption. Linden Labs has to adhere to various real world laws which can get complex especially on the global stage I am sure. A game has no pay in option it is not "within the scope of the Skill Gaming Policy"  (see below) and they clarified games that paid in and players were refunded do not trigger it either. Older skill games set for free play did this mostly to simplify scripting. Keep in mind games in which are pay in with opportunity to win are restricted to gaming sims by approved operators. 

But why bother with free play solo skill games? In the hay day of yesteryear of skill games freeplay games were used to generate traffic. There are a number of traffic generating devices and activities in Second Life but many can be exploited with bots. It is much harder to do so with games requiring interactivity and thoughtful decisions. It also takes time to play a game which ... well can be fun ... much more fun than clicking on a coin and standing around. 

You will even see "slotmachines" out in SL which are free to play but you win some object. Some stores in second life use these for giveaways but make it fun. The ones I seen allow you to click it to spin so many times a day. 

Will take a recently released game Big Bang for example because it covers a lot of bases. Big Bang was a lesser known skill game before the current polices were in place and plays in a similar way as other Slingo inspired games. It has very recently been updated to be freeplay only. pay in options are removed and replaced with click start. It can be set to instant win or timed contests. It can be argued which might be better for generating traffic ... but timed contests you have a more firm idea of what your costs will be for generating said traffic. If you have several out you will attract more people at the same time boosting your traffic further. But it also comes with a prize board which is independent of the game. In this you can put in physical prizes as give aways and promotional products. At The Gamers Grind I put in a couple games in it. Because the prize board is an accessory it can give out these prizes in addition to however you have the freeplay game set. So I have mine set to pay high score winners every 24 hours AND it gives out very high scores a free game that cycles through every time someone beats the score. So say you are a clothes store and you have one of these out you can get players to play to generate traffic but also to say win free Tshirts. And if they want them all they can keep playing to get all the prizes which they have fun doing, you get them your promotional items and also build traffic in the mean time. Plus they likely will come back to do it again. If you are setting it strictly for object based prizes you will want to mix it up of course. But the best part is you know you are rewarding an actual person and not someone's bot from an army of bots. 

EDIT ADDENDUM: If someone is using a freeplay game that resembles a game that you might see in an authorized skill game area, I would suggest good signage should be posted. This will reduce issues of concerned second life citizens reporting a game in error and taking up Linden time. Best to check a game yourself if it is free play or not before reporting to save issues across the board. Keep in mind older games might have a pay in of one linden to start the game. It will also help Lindens responding to understand the situation quicker if they are short on time and return a non issue item just to play it safe. Such communications will help everyone. Oh and don't go and try to find or create loopholes ... it was tried in the past by some and it didn't end well. 

Are “freeplay” games in Second Life subject to the Skill Gaming Policy?

Freeplay games, in which the sole payment required or permitted is a nominal Linden Dollar payment for the sole purpose of triggering gameplay and is immediately and automatically refunded without conditions of any kind, are not within the scope of the Skill Gaming Policy.

What is the max amount my players can earn while playing a freeplay Skill Game?

A player can earn up to L$100 (max amount) during one play through of a freeplay Skill Game.

Edited by Sorina Garrigus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.