Imported Mesh Avatar turns into bone when worn.

Raena Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I decided to play with taking a basic female avatar mesh model and reducing it to 25%. Exported to .DAE file. Imported to SL fine. When rezzed it looks perfect. Allows me to edit textures.  HOWEVER, when I wear it, I turn into a few bones, like a monster. There's a head like a dragon and hands are long hanging claws.   I wear a full body alpha to cover up my SL body., but the bones still show. I am not able to wear my mesh avatar without it deforming. Any suggestions?  Thank you.

bone avatar.jpg

30 minutes ago, Raena Parx said:

I decided to play with taking a basic female avatar mesh model and reducing it to 25%. Exported to .DAE file. Imported to SL fine. When rezzed it looks perfect. Allows me to edit textures.  HOWEVER, when I wear it, I turn into a few bones, like a monster. There's a head like a dragon and hands are long hanging claws.   I wear a full body alpha to cover up my SL body., but the bones still show. I am not able to wear my mesh avatar without it deforming. Any suggestions?  Thank you.

bone avatar.jpg

The problem you're having is due to the fact that, while you may have resized the mesh body before uploading it, you're still using animations created for a regular sized avatar, so your mesh is being stretched to fit the default rig.

It's been a while since I messed with joint offsets on mesh but, unless I'm mistaken, opting to include joint offsets when uploading your mesh should solve the issue, however bear in mind that if you use any animation which includes translations rather than just rotations then those translations will override the joint offsets included in your mesh and cause deformations that will remain until you remove the mesh and reattach it.  The solution is to create custom animations to accompany the mesh body and then, rather than including the joint offsets in the mesh, you rely on the animations to provide the necessary joint offsets, but obviously that's a lot of extra work so opting to just include the joint offsets in the mesh and avoiding animations with joint translations may be your easiest solution.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Fluffy. After trial and error I did eventually re-upload the mesh with joint offsets included. I never got as far as trying animations yet, since just wearing the mesh created the bone monster. 

As far as animations, I usually use QAvimator with joint limits enabled...tho maybe I need to disable them for the mini avatar?   I'm not familiar with translations or rotations in the animations as QAvimator doesn't show those options.  But i'll play with the animations next lol.  

Thank you for your help!  🙂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.