Split edges messed up when uploading a group of objects at once

Rick Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if this is Blender doing it in the export, on the importer (Firestorm) doing it. I'm making a mermaid tail with lots of optional finny bits.

If I export and upload the objects individually, they are fine. There are no problems with the split edges; I've checked very carefully in Blender when this happened.

If I export and import all objects together in one go, the edge split edges get messed up, as if I haven't split them properly (smooth shading over an acute edge, or faces poking through the other side?). It's random though, and changes with different attempts, but it's always somewhere along my split edges in several of the parts.

Any idea why?

Edit to add: I'm asking in case there's something I'm doing wrong, somehow... the assumption I try to make when things like this happen.

Snapshot_467a.png

Edited by Rick Daylight

Official LL viewer does the same (probably it's the same code in there anyway).

I really can't find anything wrong with my mesh, but this is still happening if I upload the objects as a group. Vertex normals are as expected, no loose or double vertices or anything like that apart from the ones that should be there after the split; there's nothing wrong. It's hardly the first time I've done a split edge!

Yes, I could just upload all my bits individually, but something isn't right here and that would cost a lot extra (L$ and faffing time).

On 9/25/2021 at 3:04 AM, Rick Daylight said:

Edit to add: I'm asking in case there's something I'm doing wrong,

If you would like others to check out the issue it would be best if you could put together an  example file of 2 or 3 simple objects and upload it to, for example this Blender file sharing site :

https://pasteall.org/blend/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

If you would like others to check out the issue it would be best if you could put together an  example file of 2 or 3 simple objects and upload it to, for example this Blender file sharing site :

https://pasteall.org/blend/

There is a jira link in a cross-post down here. Rick has debugged the problem on it's own already, it's in the jira.

Edited by arton Rotaru
Link fix
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Rick Daylight said:

I could just upload all my bits individually, but something isn't right

Instead of using split edges  on those lower edges have you tried enabling Normals > Auto Smooth from the Object Data Properties panel (and playing around with the angle until everything looks correct). Then you wouldn't have to be concerned  with "it's being caused by the Weld Normals setting in the Collada exporter in Blender/Avastar."

1845313642_AutoSmooth-min.thumb.png.813a5bb0153cb14d4516c2c723345684.png

On 9/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Rick Daylight said:

but something isn't right here and that would cost a lot extra (L$ and faffing time)

I had never realised that there was savings to be made by uploading objects as link sets !  I guess it must have been mentioned before now but "in one ear and out the other" :).   So I was curious what you meant when you wrote "would cost a lot extra",  did a couple of test uploads  and ... wow,  32 objects for the the price of 5 !

1 fishtail costs 11$L :

1457348236_Upload1autosmooth-min.thumb.png.b91a836f6d840223406520363a333b6c.png

32 fishtails only 58L$  !!

332278800_UploaderTailx32-min.thumb.png.64033c78b1a69332403ffe7731389e0c.png

Next months bargain will be chicken wings. 😀

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.