Video card issue...

Jigai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL is saying there's something wrong with my video card, I dunno how to find out what mine is exactly, but before I started using the one I got, I was using the one that came my computer. It's an HP Pavilion a1710n. Just really confused at the moment, heh. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The dxdiag came up with this...

Card name: Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
       Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
          Chip type:
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7183&SUBSYS_0D021002&REV_00
     Display Memory: 510 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 255 MB
      Shared Memory: 255 MB
       Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

3 answers to this question

Try disabling the hardware check at startup by adding the --noprobe parameter to the shortcut.

If you're using Windows:

Edit the shortcut properties
Add --noprobe in the first editable text field.
The parameters go at the end of the line, after the closing quotation mark, if any.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_parameters.

Far as I can establish, the HP Pavilion 1710n desktop uses a NVidia 6150LE graphics card which is integrated with the motherboard. It only has 128MB video memory and can use up to 319MB shared memory as allocated by Windows. The computer has 1024 MB RAM.

This is a basic graphics card and unlikely to run SL well if you can manage to get it to work. I would suggest you update your graphics card to the latest from the Nvidia web site here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us 

Just in case HP used different cards at times for this model of computer, I would suggest you use the NVidia automatic graphics card detector under Option 2 on that page.

Installation instructions are here http://www.nvidia.com/object/drivers_faq.html

Reread your post and you seem to be saying you're now using a different card from the one you started with but the one with the compute ris integrated so you must have added another in that case rather than replace. I should read posts more carefully.

Open your start menu and select the Run command.

Type dxdiag and press Enter.

Select Display tab from the window that opens and the graphics card will be shown there or at least the series of card. What does it say?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.